Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question What more to put in tank?

Looking to put more colorful things (i.e. soft coral) in our tank. So far we have 60 pounds lr, 40 lbs. crushed coral, green hair polip, feather duster, pulsing xenia, as well as 2 clowns, snails, emerald crab, brittlefish and astria snails. The tank is only 56 days old, and the colors are a little drab :blah: (greens, maroons). Can anyone suggest anything more colorful that is not hard coral?

Thanks for the help!!

I don't know what kind ot lighting you have, so I'll recommend blue or red mushrooms. They do well under regular fluorescent or VHO, but burn up under metal halide unless they are in a shaded area. Green star polyps would also be nice. People have stated in the past that colours for softies and LPS can be a bit drab.

Zooanthus or Zoos will always add a splash of Colour, or mushrooms, like blue or striped. Ricordia comes in many different colours. These are all soft coral that require less light than a LPS or SPS.

J

I have 6 feet of blue light, and 6 feet of white light. The tank is very bright, no dark corners at all.

Beeble, if you're talking about feet of light, then you definitely have fluorescent (whether it be NO or VHO< I don't know) but that would be great for the mushrooms I recommended and the ricordia Jakets mentioned.

good question about the lights. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Oh what a newbie I am. :

ok, here's what I found out. 15,000 kilowatts of actinic, and 15,000 kilowatts of VHO. Good enough for anything but hard coral. DOes this sound right?

WHOAH!
    I'm gonna cancel my subscription to the tanning place and go to beeble's for my tans......

*breaks out the shades and the sunscreen*

beeble, you'll be looking on the actual bulbs... should say 110w or 140w if it's VHO's, or 40w, 34w if it's regular NO.
    if the bulbs are very skinny, that's a sure sign that they are NO.
    you can also check the endcaps (the things that the bulbs plug into), if you have to unscrew the endcaps to get the bulbs out, then that's a good sign that they are VHO.

hope that helps,

Mike

that must be a big electric (hydro) bill you get there on those bulbs beeble. - he he
    Albert
    My Photos

Mike, you go to a tanning place???
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast