Thread: Toping up...???

Toping up...???

If I were to use dual 175 MH lighting with another 2 VHO lighting on a 65G tank..how often would I need to top up the tank? How long will I be able to go without having to add to the tank? The reason Im asking...I go on vacation every summer for 2 weeks....will the tank survive that long?
    I want a bigger tank! :biglaugh2

It is exactly what I have and I need to had around 1.5 gal a day. I have a 30 gal sump too, it help for the amount of evaporation...

The best things is to have an auto top off system! So you will just need to have big container of 25 gal for your vacation.

But I would have someone to come few times to your house to see that everything is fine and to feed the fish...

wow...I wasnt expecting that much evaporation. Does a closed canopy or open type lighting system make a big difference? How does an auto top off system work? expensive?

It is sure that if you put a glass top it will reduce the evaporation, but it is not a good thing to have... With the saltcreep you will have to always clean it and it will reduce the amount of light that get in your tank...

For an open or closed canopy, it will change that much the amount because the more your canopy is closed the more you will have to ventilate it to reduce heat and it will increase evaporation...

For the auto top-off it is almost a must to have to keep a stable salinity. It work most of the time with float switch or for the tunzee system with an Infrared sensor. You can build one for 30$ or can buy one with floatswitch from Tang_Man_montreal for I think around 50-60$. There is many brand that make these kind of unit. I own the Tunzee one. It is really great. I feel really safe with it, it have an IR sensor as the main control for the pump and a floatswitch as a back-up in case of a deficiency of the IR sensor. It comes with the pump and everything ryou need. It worth around 210$.

Steve

Steve

With keeping a salt water reef tank, an auto-top is basically a must. Yes you can top off the tank yourself, but that type of system doesn't work well when you're away. It is important that the water level in a reef tank remain constant. Having 2 weeks of evaporation with no top-up, that definitely would not be good.

There are numerous threads on this forum dealing with top-up sytems. Do a search for "auto topoff".
    As zeke mentions, tang_man_montreal puts together an auto top-off system that it completely automated. It's what I have and it works just great! I never touch the top-off system.

Another reason for not adding a glass lid to the top of your tank, other than helping reduce evaporation, is heat. With a glass lid on the top, it may increase the temperature of the water.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

ok sounds good..I guess I should use the search before posting Thanks for the tips