Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    do i have to hassle with all that? will it not clean itself out eventually?
    Albert
    My Photos

Andrew, yeah, full tilt, and then I'm adjusting the airflow to it with the little adjuster screw on the side of the skimmer unit.
    I'm sure it'll clean itself out eventually... but in the meantime... you're tieing a neuce around your fish and making them eat thier own litter. the choice is yours I guess.

they aren't eating their own litter, it is skimming every drop of anything out (isnt that why its so wet?)
    Albert
    My Photos

ideally from what I've been told, the foam that you are looking for is almost dry.
    perhaps someone else could shed some light on that.

TaCtIkZ

I am going to clean it out tonight, sounds like this will help. My skimmer has been getting green liquid in the collection cup but not too much thick stuff (pump not at full tilt). When the pump is run full tilt the collection cup fills up with water quickly, the foam and water have no color. The skimmer did not come with much for directions so I will have to look closer to see if the air flow can be adjusted.

When you adjust the air flow on your skimmer, are you letting less air through to get a thicker/darker foam?

I always start with the vent open, and then slowly apply pressure till the I can hear it pressurize and I see that there are bubbles that are building up at the top of the reaction chamber. Then I leave it for a few hours and go back and check on it from time to time... make sure that there is foam buildup.

TaCtIkZ - nice new avatar!
    Albert
    My Photos

You want a dry foam...

I would rince hot water and mild detergent through it several times. Also, keep your hands out of your tank for several days. Even when the skimmer is running at peak, if you stick your hand in the tank it will stop for a while.

Remember to rinse it out with hot water after the detergent as most detergents contain phospates.

Good Luck.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks Alrha

Here’s my 2 cents on skimmers ….
    I own experience with skimmers, regardless of the type is that they need to be checked on a regular basis and cleaned often. This being the case easy access is an important consideration if placing it in your tank or sump. The ones with the completely removable tops are easiest to maintain.
    As for operation … Because the longevity of the rising bubbles is directly affected by the amount of organic waste in the water they need to adjusted on a regular basis. They will form a long lasting, high rising colume of foam after feedings, adding new rock and any time the is a change in the tank. Adjustments to the air / water flow should be made in SMALL increments and the changes made often are not noticeable for several minutes. Other sometimes over looked factors that affect foam column strength and height are the condition of the air diffusers and water pump. They should also be checked and cleaned as necessary while the skimmer is being maintained.
    When adding a skimmer to a currently running setup for the first time the first week can be a bit trying because the skimmer will pull a lot of stuff out of the water. How ever as the water quality improves the height of the foam column will decrease and less foam will make it over the top and into the collection cup. If you are keeping filter feeders and corals you will have to find a balance between water clarity and suspended particles (food). You don’t want to completely remove everything that’s in water.
    In a nut shell all skimmers tend to need to be tinkered with on a regular basis but it is well worth the effort if you want to maintain that “crisp clean” look. If your getting too much water collecting in the cup… and your tanks water condition is where you want it to be. I would suggest you use the drain option that most cups have and allow the excess to run off so it dose not interfere with the skimmers operation. Do try to keep water collection to a minimum and keep an eye on the container that the drain goes to.
    Hope that’s useful.
    Rob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast