Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Make sure you are not using any tap water condtioners that will cause the PS to over skim.
    Adam Archibald

You guys might wanna look at it a different way. Firstoff, any skimmer when working properly should not have the air intake or the pump dialed back. They should be able to work at full capacity. It's important that the tube where the water exits is not underwater. This will cause a backpressure which in turn will cause the collection cup to fill up very fast with water as Andrew mentioned. Your outputs have to be able to handle the volume the pump pushes through it with no restriction. You want the air intake to be open as much as possible because the more air it can suck in, the more foam will be created because of more bubbles. Also, the pump running at full throttle will also push more water through the air being injected which will do 2 things.., clean more water and mix more air into the water.
    Skimmers should also be cleaned regularly. Every skimmer is cleanable in one way or another. Heck... even a SeaClone is cleanable!!!

Well, still having some trouble. I took the skimmer apart, as much as it could be, and washed it out with dish detergent. Rinced everything well and reasembled. Tried it again and the collection cup still fills with water (not as fast thought) with the pump running full. I tried a larger diamter tube that connects to the venturi valve to let in more air. This created more bubbles but the skimmer still overflows. The output is 1" and is in the water, but at 1" I'm not sure if that would be much back pressure.

When I turn the pump down to about 3/4 it works. The only adjustment when everthing is assemble as per the dirrections is the ouput pipe. It can be moved up and down. If I move the output pipe up, the water level in the skimmer rises (makes it overflow faster). I don't see any way to decrease the amount of air.

Any other suggestions?

If it is working at 3/4 then I would just leave it there for now. You can always adjust it later as it gets broken in better. With my smaller version of the same skimmer, the output is under water by 1" but I have always had perfect skimmate. nice and dry, and I have no problem with the cup filling quickly. I seem to remember that happening when I first plugged it in though. I can't adjust the venturi on mine, and the air is wide open all the time. Did you conatact the manufacturer? Often they will be very helpful in tweaking a new skimmer.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I didn't contact the manufacturer yet. I think I will just wait a bit and see. It may have something to with the tank it is set up on. The skimmer is meant for 200Gal and I have it set up on a 27Gal. The new tank doesn't have water yet and I wanted to see this thing working. But, the water in the 27 is very very clear!

There ya go! Nothing to skim!! Now wouldn't that be nice!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

mine originally had that problem too, but has since calmed down. i guess as it skimms like crazy, it eventually runs out of what to skim and starts to skim normally.
    Albert
    My Photos

What kind of skimmer is it?
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

I have an Adavnced Aquaria Excalibur HV 200 skimmer.

Remora Pro
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast