Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I will say it once again. The only thing that you should be adjusting is the exiting of the water. This is what will control how much your water fills up the skimmer. true, at first when a skimmer is new, it has to be run for awhile till it gets broken in. You might want to run it with the water adjusted high enough to foam but not enoughto do any collecting yet, as this will let it run to break itself in without the overflowing problem. I aslo mentioned this also and it's VERY important!!! Andrew, you say you're exit is under water and is 1". The size is NOT what matters. Even at 1" dia if the exit is underwater, this is creating a backpressure. Either have it exit just above the water so that it falls freely into the water ( you might not want to do this as you will hear it) or just drill a small hole in the tube just above the waterline ( like an antisyphon hole in return lines in the main tank). this will release any pressure buildup and will usually allow you to keep the exit underwater. Try this out 1st before comtinuing to do other things and let us know how it went. If done properly, it should solve your problem.

Toutouche
    OK I'll try it this weekend. I will make sure there is an antisyphon hole in the return just above the water line.
    Here is a picture(hope it works). The skimmer box on the model I have is larger and the pump fits inside. The pipe on the right side is the return, which can be raised and lowered to control the water level. THe higher the pipe the higher the water level. I have been running the skimmer with this adjusted to the lowest level. Thanks for your continued help.

I just looked closer at the picture and this pump does not have the extra venturi valve setup. The way I have it hooked up is: just above the pump there is an extra venturi valve where a clear tube attaches to let in air. This picture doesn't show the valve but it shows the clear tube.

Try to keep that air intake completely open. Ideally, you want a smuch air to mix into the water as possible to make it foam as much it can. As I said, ideally you shopuld only be controlling the output of the water to adjust the level in the skimmer. Everything else should be running full out to maximize it's foaming capabilities.

Have to agree with the Touche-man, control the output. That skimmer should be running full bore all the time ...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Andrew, My skimmer came with the hole in the output that Toutouche is talking about already there. So if you look, you should have one too. Also, the water level adjuster on mine that moves up and down has never seemed to do a darn thing, but it runs full bore all the time so I haven't worried about it.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234