Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rinsing frozen foods?

I have seen this posted many times about rinsing frozen foods before putting them ino the tank. Does everybody do this? What is the idea/science behind it? what do you rinse them into? I have just always wondered?

As you can tell, I don't rinse....yet
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

I had a serious algae outbreak a while back and someone told me to rinse all frozen food before putting it the tank. It was one of a couple things I did to combat the algae problem. From what I was told, the idea behind rinsing the food is to get rid of phosphates that lay behind in the water they were sitting in to thaw.

I put some RO/DI water in a small container and let the frozen cube thaw in it. I then empty the contents of the bowl in a small strainer and pour more RO/DI on it. Then it's ready to be feed to the fish.

Cheers

Fish won't eat the juice the frozen food releases when it thaws. This juice is perfect for nuisance algae. Macro Algae will also eat it, but, why take the chance.

Personally, I've been using about 1-2 cups of RO/DI water. I add a cube of food and let it thaw 5 minutes or so. The PE Mysis sinks as it thaws, so, once it is all sunk, I know it is ready. Then I swirl it and strain it, and add it to the tank.

I will also be doing this for the Cyclopeze once I get a fine enough strainer.

If you plan to thaw a large chunk, do it in cold water in the fridge for several hours. If you let it get to room temperature for more than an hour or so, you can allow rancidity to set in. As well, after warming this much, it isn't as safe to refreeze.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

OMG...I think you just helped me!!! I'm glad I saw this thread! hyeah:

Banned
    Cres, I use a stainless steel coffee filter for my cyclopeze.

I'll start rinsing right away. Thanks!

Deleted: Cool. I've looked at a couple, but, the ones I've seen recently looked like the holes were about the same size as the Cyclopeze. I was certain I'd seen finer ones, but, not since I started looking again (hardly an exhaustive search).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Banned
    They're around but you might need to go to a kitchen supply or cafe to find the right size. The one I use is for expresso coffee. Expresso is ground to a powder so the filter is very fine.

Wouldn't a brine shrimp net work for straining cyclops-eese?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Banned
    I tried a brine shrimp net but the holes were too big. May have just been the brand, I should look around at others. Around here no one will carry them so it has to be paid for then ordered in so I guess I'm in for some driving. Another thought is a rotifer screen, it should work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast