Thread: Maintnance

Question Maintnance

Hello, basically what i need to know is what kind of daily / weekly maintnance i need to do on my aquarium because im lost in all what i read and dont know where to start. Also i have a electronic termomether and a marineland heater and since i put my live rocks in my temperature keeps jumping up and down from 76.8 - 78.8 (what do i do). I also have a plastic 17$ hydrometer and my salt level is kept to 1.022 - 1.023 but the salt seems to not stay the same (maybe is because i should had water when it evaporates but i didnt thought it would evaporate so fast (three days)). If so when i add water do i have to add makeup salt water or just normal distilled water without salt.

Do your best to anwser my questions and giving me appropriate information.
    Thank you. :wink5:

Olivier

First off we need to know a little about your tank. What size is it? How old is it? The temperature is probably going up and down like that because of day and night. (Maybe??) Also when you have evaporation you need to top up with straight water. No salt. Idealy RO/DI water.

Hope this helps a little. And read alot. As much as you can find!!!!! Probably the best peice of advice I can give you.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

For maintenance if it's a basic setup like mine, regular water changes (small but weekly), clean the glass (when it's getting dirty), clean the cup of the skimmer (weekly), test youre parameters(from daily to every 2nd week) and add ro/di from evaporation.
    This is more or less what has to be done.
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

.... and feed the fish and or corals.
    I have a lot of Patients

Tank Information

I have a 24 gallon aquapod, no protein skimmer, blue light on for 8 hours, day light on for 1 hour a day. I dont have any fishes or anything alive yet, im getting my nitrogen cycle completed first. People suggested me to not change the water for a while... so i dont,... i just add water when needed. I have 24 pounds of live rock in there though... the tank is brand new. i use distilled water... what is RO/DI by the way... this site is good because i read alot but i need precise directions too, thanx.

Olivier :speedbana

start to increase ur day light after cycling is complete.

evapouration is normal, top it off with RO or tap, up to u, distilled is ok too

RO/DI stands for Reverse Osmosis/De-ionized
    basically water is mechanically forced through a membrane that removes minerals and small tibits, and then it is passed through a resin that removes many of the free ions in the water.

the result is a clean water that is almost as pure as distilled

distilled and RO/DI lacks minerals needed to sustain marine life, so people usually supplement it with additives.

small fluctuation in temperature and salinity is normal and you needn't be concerned unless its a drastic change (pH change, even minor is dangerous if done fast)

for a small tank like urs, i recommend:

weekly water changes, 10-25%
    regular topoffs
    test water every week
    feed fish
    clean algae off glass
    add additives as needed

u don't need protein skimmer on a small tank if u regularily change water
    also, what do u use for filter? remember to take the mechanical filtration out when theres no debris in the water or it'll collect nitrates

My aquarium dealer told me to not use any kind of filtration system because they dont use it and he said the live rock acts as a filtration system... so i dont use any kind of filters. how long after putting my live rock in should i wait before adding up tank cleaner crew do you think. And what do i need to test, i dont have a test kit yet... just ph, nitrate & amonia ? or is there something else i should be testing weekly.

Olivier

weekly just pH nitrates ammonia

at first, while ur tank is cycling, u shoudl test for ph nitrite and nitrate and ammonia

once u get corals, u might consider testing for Ca and alk. when u get really advanced, tests for iodine, strontium, molybdenum, etc...

about 3 weeks after ur cycling start, depending how fast the cycle was, test for nitrites, if its at 0ppm you can consider adding cleanup crew, but i wouldn't until the cycling process is complete

Coral Growth or algea

I added my live rocks in my aquarium a week ago and i have noticed today two things that are growing witch i dont know the name. The first one looks very green and looks like grass growing and the second one looks like a purple kinda small dill growing (is that coralline algae or is it a coral reviving). i would like to know because if coralline algae is growing i know its a good sign. If you cannot identify my descriptions please tell me a web site where i can look up the pictures and identify it myself. (Types of algae and or growing plants/corals).

Thank you :wink5:

Olivier