Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to bring out the color on the live rock?

Ok, 35g FOWLR with 24 assorted types of snails, 7 hermits, and 1 emerald crab. The colors on the rock are very poor (they were nice pink, purple when I first got the rock), lots of green algae. My peppermint shrimp (2) seem to like to eat my snails (nassarius), but leave the aptasia alone! I don't want more hermits as I think they probably too pick on the snails! What do I do?

The tank is 8 months old, RO/DI is used, canister filter, bakpak skimmer, and 25lbs of live rock.

Someone was telling me one time that coral line algae grows in poor lighting conditions. I was actually wondering the same thing because my rock is in the same boat. When I bought is off another reefer it had lots of coral line on it but now it just looks like rock. So I don't know wether to be disappointed because my rock looks like rock with no coral line on it or be happy because it don't have any coral line on it ( Because of the good lights???) I'm stumped as well.LOL

Sorry I did answer your question. Guess i'm pretty much tagging along.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I find that pink and red coraline grows easily but can't get the deep purple stuff. However under the actinics alone, the pink color is more deep purple. I guess its the blue that does it.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

Have you noticed that the coralline is still growing in the shaded areas of the rock? Mike is most likely right. Even if the purple type is fading in the high light areas, you should be able to encourage a few different types of coralline growth by making sure that your calcium stays high.
    HermitCrab

IME coraline growth is really a mystery. Even in my lil 50g, I can see some area that does seem like low light is better for coraline growth, but not in some other areas. Doesn't seem like having a very strong indication either way. And even on the same piece of LR, a flat piece for example, facing the light... part of it has total purple coraline covered, then the other part of it remains bare. Same piece of rock receiving same amount of light, why the different coraline growth? I duno
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

I can turn a white rock into neon green in 2 weeks. After about 1 month it gets darker and I get spots of pink. 2 Months later, it looks like regular rock for me.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

I think it has alot to do with actinic spectrum, thats why alot of it can grow even under low light? i mean, i've seen overflow (inside) completely covered by coraline

ur Ca and kdH is very important to growth of coraline alage, liek ur corals.

color

Actinic lighting, calcium and alkalinity. No mystery here. Very bright light(MH) with all other things being equal (ie calcium and alkalinity) will not produce as much coraline as NO flourescents IME. I have several tanks and the ones with the most coraline have the lowest par levels of lighting.
    Jason

lots of flow will definatly help!!!

when i get home i'll experiment adding more actinic on my tank... maybe some 14K or 20K NO bulbs, since all i'm running is NO on my tank

is there a calculator to find optimal balance of ca and alk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast