Thread: Sumpin/ refugin

Sumpin/ refugin

I am planning to use a cpr 90 overflow rated at 600gph on my 65g tank. (tank not drilled , of course, but I'll use an aqualifter pump with it to help prevent siphon break)
    I've got a 30g tank for the sump (doing the compatment baffles this weekend).
    The sump will be under tank so the water will need to travel 5 feet up to the tank top, so am I safe with a mag 7 or better with a mag 9, for a return pump, or is there another option? Thanks.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I think the Mag pumps are the best bang for your buck. They seem to work well, a lot of people use them, and aren't to expensive. I would say either a 7 or 9.5 would be a fine choice.

I am sure someone will comment on the overflow method, and how it's not recommended, but I think you are fully aware of the consequences if it fails. I hope it works out for you.

I do have the same overflow box and I am running a mag 9.5 and find that it is perfect.

Of course, it all depend of your setting. I got two little sump of 12g each and a fuge of about 15g.

Work well for me.

Fred
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

OK thanks, I'll try the 9.5 which upflow would probably match the down flow of the overflow. and use ball valves to balance things.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimfins
    OK thanks, I'll try the 9.5 which upflow would probably match the down flow of the overflow. and use ball valves to balance things.
    I sure you realize that you don't have to match the overflow rating. The 600GPH is the maximum flow. If your pump returns less than this to the tank, the overflow will just function with a lower flow.

Also, don't put a ball value on the drain to 'balance things'; it's not needed and could lead to signifncant probelsm in the future. You could put a ball value on the return line, or have a 'tap' to divert some flow back to the sump in case the pump exceeds the maximum capacity of the overflow.
    Nick

I have a Mag 9.5 as my return on a 90g from a 30g sump and it works great. I have ball valves on both the overflow and return, both are open full now but originally the return needed to be closed about 25% to not drain the sump to quickly. It is great having the ball valves on both lines so that I can shut all pumps off and close both valves to either keep the normal level in the display tank or keep the sump at a lower level.
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Quote Originally Posted by SnelgroveReefer
    I have a Mag 9.5 as my return on a 90g from a 30g sump and it works great. I have ball valves on both the overflow and return, both are open full now but originally the return needed to be closed about 25% to not drain the sump to quickly. It is great having the ball valves on both lines so that I can shut all pumps off and close both valves to either keep the normal level in the display tank or keep the sump at a lower level.
    Mark

Thanks for the input. This is what I was thinking too. I did not know the overflow will match the return if lower, thanks for that. I am just worried about pushing water up the 5 foot to the display and wonder if the bigger pump is a better choice or will mag 7 do? Thanks.