Fish Compatibility

Hello, my husband was trying to pick out some new fish and corals for our tank and suggested if I wanted to pick something out to visit the site! So I was asking him about the different fish and he was saying they have to be compatible with what we have. Is there a chart for this and if so, is it only for fish or corals too?
    Happy Reefing, Trina!

[welcome]

It might be helpful if you could post a list of what fish you already have, how big your tank is, etc. Compatibility can be a tough question (other than when one fish will eat another). Often, you can get fights to the death within the same species.
    Nick

Well right now the tank is pretty bare after a hair algae problem killing off most of our corals but the tank is turning around with hardly any algae at all! The stock right now is down to a purple tang( Kevin's prize pocession) and two tomato clown fish that I've told him are staying! :rant: Only other occupants are 2 shrimp and crabs/snails! As far as corals go he's got zenia which wont grow, Hairy mushroom that spread like a disease and green polyps! We would like to stay with LPS and softies because I like the way some of them sway in the current! Fish are a whole different story the one's I like are not compatible I guess with the shrimp like the hawkfish! Anyhoo, that's our tank any help would be appreciated!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I have a long nose Hawkfish and a Cleaner shrimp in the same tank with no problem, I also have a Pistol shrimp and Goby.

Part of this comes from the fact that the Hawkfish was smaller than the cleaner shrimp when the Hawkfish was added.

As to fish and coral compatability, fish tend to be listed as "Reef Safe", Not Reef Safe" or "Caution". The first two are clear, the "Caution" indicates a hit and miss type of compatability. You should then read more about that fish for the specific coral you keep.

I've used this page: http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm
    for fish-fish compatability.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

It's good to see a fellow reefer in the same area as me (my profile says Fredericton, but I am in Saint John, at least once a week)! There aren't very many around here....

Here is a link to the samecompatibility chart above, it is just easier to read since it has some nice mouseover effects: http://www.aquariumpros.ca/modules.p...ewarticle&id=8
    My 75 gallon Reef Diary: http://blog.seanmcg.com/?cat=13&submit=GO

75 Gallon AGA, 25 gallon sump, Mag 7 & Lifereef Overflow, 80lbs of Tonga Deepwater, 2 x 250w 14000K MH, 2 x 110w VHO actinics, Moonlights, Coralife Super Skimmer 3002, 3 x Maxijet 1200 on a Wavemaster Pro

The liveaquaria one has a mouse based crosshair, but, it only seems to work in IE for me.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thank you for the links, the site is great also for brief descriptions and pictures of alot of various fish. With so many to choose from I can see why he's having a hard time! Of course the availability from the suppliers also dictates and I now he's bought from only two locations, here Aquaria Canada being one not sure of the other! I know he was happy with the purchases and I even know who Ivan is, lol!