Raising alkanity/Calcium

Hi,

Have a 70G tank and my alkalinity is at 2.5meq/l and my calcium around 350. The LFS gave me reefbuilder and told me to add 3-4 of the spoons that come in the container per week. It is the smaller container which I understand has a smaller spoon. I have done this for around 3 weeks and my alkalinity is not moving (calcium I don't know as I got the test kit recently).

Am I adding it at an appropriate rate?

Kalk reactor is the next purchase but it will be a while. In fact, if Nelson hadn't snatched up Aquas when I was there a couple weeks ago, I would have one now hyeah:

Sorry fish - not to make you feel even worse but Aqua's (now my) DIY Kalk reactor is an incredible performer. The magnetic mouse ball stirrer still amazes me every time I turn it on.

Have read this article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Your readings are on the border of zone 2 and 3. Based on Randy's suggestions, you should add calcium chloride until calcium get up to about 400. Then, add a balanced supplement until the Alk gets to about 3-3.5. I can't find out what is in Reef Builder but it claims to raise alk without affecting pH or calcium. You might look at some of the other alternatives listed in the article.
    Nick

Very good link hyeah:

I made a nice little summary of Randy's article, here:

You should still read the article to understand it better.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the article - very helpful. It actually turns out I am adding Tropic Marine bio calcium (was not at home to check when I first posted) - which from what I can tell from their website will not raise alkalinity - just calcium - or am I misunderstanding what the product does?

Like was said, Ya, you need to add some AlK.
    If your PH is High, then add baking powder (Sodium bicarbonate) like Arm and Hammer brand. It will very slightly lower your PH
    If your PH is low, then bake the baking soda at 350 degrees for an hour or so, and then add it. It will raise your PH

Just add a bit at a time and slowly raise your alk up to match your Calcium. To around 5 DKH.

I don't think the suggestion (from us) was to raise Alk. Rather, raise the calcium to about 400. Then, add a balanced supplement to raise both Alk and calcium. Also, the target alk levels would be around 3-3.5 meq/l (8-9 dKh).

Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium should be raising calcium and having no effect on Alk. You probably need to get a calcium kit and test your levels before adding anything else to see what impact the addition of the past while have had.
    Nick