Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hawkfish Questions!

Does anyone have any experience with either the flame or the long nose? I like them both but was wondering if one is more agressive than the other, I have two shrimp I'd like to keep! Better yet if someone has owned both, please let myself and others who may be interested in these two hawkfish in on the secrets, Thank you!

I've only owned the long nose. Not aggressive at all.

I don't know how big your shrimp is, but, when I got my Hawkfish it was slightly smaller than the shrimp.

I wouldn't say they are buddies, and the shrimp is pretty scarse after a molt, but, I still have both in my 75 gallon tank.

The Hawkfish used to like Cyclopeze more than anything else, but, now likes PE Mysis and lets the Cyclopeze float by while waiting for Mysis.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a flame hawk fish ..great fish ..never bothers anyone and is really good to watch the only fish I ever named FRED :biggrinbo eats anything

:OMG: Eats anything!!! :OMG: ........Could you please clarify, lol! Do you still have any small creatures in your tank?

what I am saying eats any type of food you add to your tank ..it does not eat anything in the tank

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Leaffan,

Hawkfish in general are a toss up between being Reef-friendly couch potatos, and sadistic predators.

The flame and longnose hawk are however amongst the most docile of hawkfish. I used to have a longnose hawk which I loved (lost several years ago in a tank crash). He would perch on everything and just keep an eye out over the tank, like a cop watching for speeders.
    Flame hawks for the most part don't seem to care about inverts either.

However, on the flipside I've read many peoples accounts of how their hawkfish constantly attacked any cleanershrimp and hermit crab placed in the tank.

One thing to keep in mind, is that if you want cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, etc.... be sure to add them BEFORE the hawkfish. Any added after the hawkfish will tempt him to "check out possible dinner"....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

i have had both my long nose was fine he never touched nething however my flame ate my cleaner shrimp but didnt touch ne of my hermits crabs that i noticed.

I had the flame without any trouble. did not touch any shrimp/hermit

I currently have a long nose hawkfish! He was pretty small when I added him and it was well after any peppermint, cleaner shrimp or hermits were added. The shrimp are all bigger than the hawkfish so no problems here! He's very cool perching and watching over the tank. Eats frozen shrimp (but really hasn't touched anything else.)

azz
    to date my flame hawkfish ate about 3 cleaner shrimps and 1 red blood shrimp, yes if the shrimp is small or just molted, its a snack for him, he often tries to catch my damsels, but he is a funny guy, sits at all kinda places, i will never get rid off him!

not too long ago someone mentioned their clams kept dying coz hawkfish would go sit on them! so i dunno!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast