Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Algea problem! How to solve it?

I am having a problem with this algea that is spreading away very fast all over my tank and i have to idea what it is. I am having some Astrea snails, margarita, cerith, nassarius, mexican turbo snails and none of them are eating them. Also having around 10 emerauld crabs, 2 lettuce nudibranch nothing are touching it...

Here's a picture:

Also i am having a lot of cyano these days too,

My NO3 are at 2 with salifert test kit
    pH:8.05 sometimes lower to 8, sometimes around 8.1 and have been calibrate last week
    Salinity: 1.024
    Amoniac 0
    phosphate: no test but might be high i guess, running a reactor with some phosphate remover, but keep on getting jam, dunno why, clean the reactor and a few days after, jam again...

Thanks!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

I think its this form of Bryopsis. I also have noticed it in my tank and also the return of cyano meaning too many nutrients in the water. I added phosguard today (already had it on hand). Otherwise I'd buy ecophos..wink wink.
    http://www.hawaii.edu/reefalgae/inva...is_pennata.htm
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

My phosban reactor always get jam... I just clean them all and put one reactor full of carbon, the other reactor with carbon+phosphate remover (trying out the phoslock). I used a liter of carbon, hopefully it will make a change concerning those algea!

I think i have read recently that bryosis will die with high pH, but there is no way for me to see how to bring it up higher than 8.3...
    Are they other solution? I will add a long spike urchin or 2 this week ...
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

I'm still fighting that battle myself. I upgraded to a superskimmer 33004 on Friday, I'm hoping the additional skimming will get rid of DOCs before they break down into anyting the algea can use.

My numbers are 0 across the board, but all that means is the algea is using the nitrates as fast as the tank is making them.

I'm only chaning 1 thing at a time & then giving it time to evalutate. April I cut back on feeding & started rinsing all food in RO/DI water. In one month it's had a minor, but noticable effect.

This month I've upped the skimming power, we'll see where that gets me. In June if I'm not winning yet, I'm looking at ozone.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I never had this type of algae when I had my lawnmower blenny...hmm?

There's a lawnmower blenny in my tank, he's been there for almost a year. He won't touch it, but he does clean up on the film algea & nori.

Cheers!

When I get the sump up and get the water nicer, I'll consider a blenny if only to clean up the excess nori and cause they're cute. Yup.

Hey Richard and Kruger,

Have you guys checked your TDS in your RO/DI or whatever water source your using or vacuum out ditruis traped some where behind or in between the rockworks?
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

I clean the rocks with a turkey baster before I do a partial. The sand is pretty fine, siphoning it isn't really an option.

TDS in my RO water is 0, but that's misleading. Total dissolved solids do not reflect what organics may be in the water. I could have phosphate for example, but I haven't tested for it. Anyone in Hull test their RO/DI for this type of thing?

Ultimately if I can control the nutrients, the algea is doomed. I'm feeding at my minimum levels, so now I've got to increase filtration until it balances out sans algae.

I eventually need to set up a 'fuge also. I'm just not sure where the heck I'd put one on this tank.... anyway a competing macro might help.

And I've been clamless for many moons now. It might be time to try another clam...

Cheers!

I had a tank with that a couple of years ago. I spreads and really takes over if you let it. Reduce your feeding to the bare minimum for your fish. Turkey baste your rocks twice a day. Water changes should be upped and the quatity too. Phosban reactor is cool but I ran it with carbon and rowa and found that it didn't work too well. Rowa on its own is great and another reactor for carbon. If your rocks are putting tons of detritus up into the water column when you turkey baste, and you cant find another reason for the algea.....well your looking at it in the water column. Super algea growth formula all over your rocks. I cooked all my rocks till nothing came off of them, never seen any algea since.
    Jason

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast