Remoro Pro producing very, very little skimmate

Hi,

Tank is 70G Tall, about 9 weeks old right now. Stocked with 40 or so snails, 20 small hermits, 2 very, very small perculas, one cleaner shrimp, 80-85 lbs rock plus a host of lovely stuff I got from Aqua (few small xenias, a large (3 lb) rock covered with green star polyps, a roughly 200 polyp zooanthid rock and a couple of candy canes (around 15 heads each) and a couple other smallish star polyp frags. All seem to be doing well - no algae outbreaks yet. Water changes have been around 7% per week since week 3. The only additive going into the tank right now is calcium. Water is always RO/DI.

My Remora Pro (bought used - around 15 months old) was producing lots of skimmate when the rock was first introduced but has petered out to very little (like a 1/4 cup every 4 days plus the gunk that builds up on the lid and in the tube). I try to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible but it early days and things require attention.

I am wondering if this is normal at this point or if something is wrong with the skimmer. The only adjustment I can see one can make with the Remora Pro is the height of the collection cup which is as low as it goes.

Any feedback/recommendations would be more than appreciated. I'd like to get this sorted out before I have real problems.

Also wondering if upgrading the Mag 3 to a Mag 5 would help. Anyone tried this successfully?

I have a remora with the maxijet 1200. I find that cleaning the collection cup, particularly the tube section, makes a dramatic difference in skimmate production. There is also a cleaning port on the main input tube (accessed thru a small plastic bolt) could this need cleaning? Overall, I'm very happy with my skimmer.
    John

Your tank is still relatively new - and your bio-load is very small. How often do you feed? I have the Remora Pro with a Mag 7 on my 90 gallon and I'm very pleased with it's performance. Upgrading to a Mag 5 should really improve it's performance IMO.

Banned
    Well on one of my 40g's I have a Remora Pro with a Mag 7 and I'm also pleased with it. I've found that it can be a bit picky though. If the water level is too high on the input side, the jet stream will not break the water surface properly and cause too large of bubbles and therefore less skimmate.

Also, the thing picks up anything. I've had the input outlet get partly blocked by a small piece of lr (how it got in there I have no idea) and reduced to flow so I wasn't getting much skimmate.

Keep an eye on your sg. If you run on the low side of NSW (i.e. hypo) your skimmer won't produce as much skimmate due to the reduced tension (kinda like running a skimmer in FW).

As for the Mag, if you're going to upgrade (and you should as you'll get better performance) you really should just go to the Mag 7. It'll be kinda like lighting, you'll get the Mag 3 and see how much better the skimmer is skimming so you'll wonder about getting the Mag7. Might as well just get the Mag 7 (and it's only $8 more than the mag 5 at ~$87), and an overflow box to hide it in (~$60).

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted
    Well on one of my 40g's I have a Remora Pro with a Mag 7 and I'm also pleased with it. I've found that it can be a bit picky though. If the water level is too high on the input side, the jet stream will not break the water surface properly and cause too large of bubbles and therefore less skimmate.

Also, the thing picks up anything. I've had the input outlet get partly blocked by a small piece of lr (how it got in there I have no idea) and reduced to flow so I wasn't getting much skimmate.

Keep an eye on your sg. If you run on the low side of NSW (i.e. hypo) your skimmer won't produce as much skimmate due to the reduced tension (kinda like running a skimmer in FW).

As for the Mag, if you're going to upgrade (and you should as you'll get better performance) you really should just go to the Mag 7. It'll be kinda like lighting, you'll get the Mag 3 and see how much better the skimmer is skimming so you'll wonder about getting the Mag7. Might as well just get the Mag 7 (and it's only $8 more than the mag 5 at ~$87), and an overflow box to hide it in (~$60).
    I'm not sure I am following...

Is the input outlet you refer to the input to the Mag pump or something else?

I am still a little low on sg - bringing that up slowly so that should help.

I don't understand the water level statement at all. Is there some way to adjust the level of the water on the input side? I thought the only adjustments that could be made were depth of pump (via the length of hose) and the height of the collection cup?

Banned
    Sorry, the input outlet was the 'injector' inside the skimmer body where the water from the pump is sprayed inside the skimmer(the part that has the screw access point, like what johnp said).

The skimmer is hung on the tank via the outlet that is on the right side of the skimmer body. Sometimes if you bump the skimmer it can cause the skimmer to shift so the left side is a little lower than the right. As you may know water will always be level so the lowered state of the left side will have the water higher on that side of the skimmer body. Because the water is higher and the injector isn't higher it won't break the water surface the same. In fact it may need the injection vortex to lower the water surface the point where it can even create any bubbles (injection vortex is how the water level is lowered at the point of impact by spraying or injecting).

Not to be a smart ass but if you still don't get what I mean walk over to your skimmer and skew it to the left and look at the injector.

As far as the adjustments, you can increase the performance (only to a small extent though) by the simple orientation of the skimmer. Put a level on the skimmer and see where the bubble is. Remember that all that is in the skimmer for the most part is water and bubbles. You can tilt the skimmer in the direction you'd like the bubbles to go after the dwell time. The shear force of the water moving will play a part in how the bubbles react but you can tweak the skimmer a bit.

Does the Mag 7 fit in the remora pro skimmer box?

Banned
    Yes. The Mag 2, Mag 3, Mag 5, and Mag 7 are all the same size.