Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats our opinion of this skimmer.

Hi All,

I am converting my setup and I am looking for a skimmer. I came across this skimmer which retails for aound 225$CAD. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer. It is supposed to handle 100G.

If is made by Finnex.

Specifications:

Venturi Skimmer
    For In-Sump Operation
    Rated to 100G tank
    Measures 15 1/2" H x 6"x5 1/2"
    Ozone Safe
    Easy Water Flow Control
    Removable Waste Cup

Generally skimmers are good for tanks half the size the company says they are. So if you have a 50 gal tank, it may be OK. But I don't have any experience with this particular skimmer.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

venki

why don't you speak to HARLEY? he makes very good skimmers at great prices.

I am in touch with harley about skimmers, I'll be dropping by his place friday. I found this listed in Ebay at a good proce so wanted to get some feedback.

Venki

I don't want to ever bash a product but from the design it loks like it will work, however, skimmers are trickly. That one doesn't look like its a quality built piece. Looks very lightweight. I would go to Harley and get what you really want made. Also, I agree that with MOST companies, if they say good for 100g, it's probably only good for 50-60g.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Hi,

A was at Harley's place yesterday. He some excelent skimmers, I'll be buying myself one of his skimmers.

Meanwhile I won the auction on Ebay at 51$ for the finnex skimmer, will keep you posted on the performace of this puppy.

Venki

Since I got this skimmer and was sitting around I decided to set it up as a stop gap arrangement till me PM cv626 gets hooked up.

To my utter surprise, this is the most user friendly skimmer I have ever come across. Placed in the sump, opened the drain valve fully and turned on the pump, couldn't believe the amount of air bubble it produced. Adjusted the water level using the valve. It started producing skimmate in under 30 minutes really couldn't believe that as I was always under the impression that most skimmers take 24 - 48 hours break in period.

Produced a cup of skimmate in under 12 hours. This skimmer is actually built well overall, The only thing that would have made it better in my opinion is a drain from the collection cup.

Overall I give it 2 thumbs up after 24 hours of operation as my tank has become sparkling clean. At this price I would recommend it to anyone who is yet to buy a skimmer to give them a try and I would say 50 - 75 gallons as I am running it on my 72 gallon + system.

I tried using cyclop ezee and red slime remover to see if it had any impact on the skimmer, didn't notice any difference.

Strongly recommend using in the sump.

I am not sure if I am going to need my PM CV626 anymore.

Venki

ijo
    Venki...what skimmer did you purchase from harley? did it have the kent or mazzie injector? what type of pump are you using?

IJO

hey vemki if you decide to get rid of it when you get the new one im interested...need one for my new 66 gal setup

Craig
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

You can buy these for around 50$ CAD on Ebay. I am not going to part with it.

If you have a sump go for it you wont regret it.

Cheers

Venki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast