Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bubble tip anemone

well last night my bubble tip kept letting go of the lr and floating around so i kept putting it back on the lr and so i went to bed with not another thaught in my mind that there would be a problem. well i woke up this morning got ready for work and did my daily check and the actinics were on and low and behold my water was cloudy, what else could it have been? looking around the tank all i could see of the anemone was little pieces the size of krill. the anemone must have went thru my maxi 1200 now im sitting here at work worring about everything else thats in the tank cause i didnt have time to do any water changes this morning im just wondering if 8 hours in that water will harm all my other coral and fish cause the second i get home it water changing time.

From what I've read, a shredded anemone can crash a tank. I think some pretty large tanks have had some pretty serious issues because of this. If I recall correctly the issue isn't that you've got shredded meat all over the tank, it's the toxins the anemone had in it's body & on it's tenticles are now free floating in the water column.

Just about everything will have a hard time from that, but I'm going from memory on somebody elses experiences. You'll probably want a second or third opinion.

My advice is to develop a cold & head home for a big partial & run some serious carbon.

Good luck.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'll second krugar on this one, if at all possible, head home and clean up the mess otherwise you will probably come home to a dead or dieing tank...

Aren't anemonies fun? IMHO, they don't belong in a fish tank...

-yvest

You suddently feel REALLY sick... one of your kids is sick... there is an emergency.... find an excuse and GO HOME! lol

I'm also writting from memory but I don't think the probleme is a "toxine" per say but more a HUGE amount of dead stuff all over your tank that is going to decompose REALLY fast! Hello amonia! I would run home, syphon out pieces, do a water change, run carbon aggressively, make sure the skimmer is working at it's peak and repeat those steps as necessary.

Keep us posted and good luck.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

well i got the afternoon off so im going to wait for 2 hours im just sitting here like a nervous reck waiting to leave im prob going to take all my fish out for the time being when i get home and put them in my quarintine tank and put the few other coral i have in there to i just cleaned it out so its nice and clean and then move all the rock and make sure i get all the anemone out and do a nice big water change

I would do a 50% water change when you get home and then a 50% water change the next day.

Try to siphon out as much of the shredded bits as possible!

Good luck! If you need anything, send me a PM.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I totally know the feeling
    my brother called to tell me when i was on vacation that my GIGANTIC long tenticle was starting to get sucked up by the filter. i told him to shut off the filter. MORON shuts everything off i didn't know until i got home. For 3 days there was NO watermovement.

50% water change. and a bottle of cycle.
    everything ended up ok.

Bram
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

you'll need to run carbon for sure.stuff might be stressed out and continue to die even after water changes.

well im at home and im just running a hang on filter with carbon at the moment ive moved most of the rock to collect all the loose pieces ans now im about to do one of my first water changes of many cause all i got is a 5 gallon jug and im about to test the water so ill see ya in a bit, wish me luck!!!

Sorry to hear... I hope that the tank will be ok!

How do you do your regular water change if you only have a 5 gallon jug???

You have a 125 gallon tank right?
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast