New Setup - Need help

I have a 12g nano that was setup on April 2/06 and I believe has completed cycling. I have a huge carpet of cyanobacteria on the substrate that looks aweful. Can I remove this or is it better for the cycling process to leave it alone? I have three, three strip damsels in the tank and I am worried about their health with all that cyano. Thanks for any advise!
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

I'm not aware of any benefits that can be derived from a sandbed covered with red slime. In fact I would question whether a heavy infestation is allowing for efficient bio filtration. I would remove it.

I wouldn't bother with it, it'll go away with time... just make sure u don't add any corals just yet.

also I wouldn't disturb it unless u can remove as one big piece incase it breaks and spreds

Increase water circulation and stir it up, in my opinion. Every tank goes through this stage, it will pass. :wink5:

to get rid of cyano it helps to raise the calcium in the tank and u can put in a small conch they will munch it pretty fast.

I have personnaly found that when cyanno gets "thick" enough you can remove it pretty easily using a turkey baster. This will however not get rid of the problem all together. Keep up with the water changes, cut back a bit on the feeding, use RODI water for top ups and water changes and maybe cut down your light cycle for a bit until it's under control ... all of this as well as manual removal will get rid of the problem.

Well I decided last night during "24" to clean up the tank, I just couldn't take the look of it anymore. The cyano was so thich over everything, like a carpet, and the water was really murky. It has now cycled for six weeks, so I removed about 95% of the cyano, did a 30% water change using RO/DI water and rinsed out the foam filter media. The tank looks way better and the three 3 stripe damsels seem much happier now that they can see through the water. I hope everything will be OK. (I mean with the tank not Jack Bauer)
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Keep us posted on how it's going. On a nano it's important to to regular water changes. I for instance will do a 20-25% water change every week. It might seem like alot but on a small tank it's not much. I can get the water ready in under 2 hours and the actual water changes takes only about 20 minutes. This prevents nutrient build up and also replenishes trace elements and restores salinity/alk/cald levels to what they should be.

Ohh and by the way 24 rocks I can't wait for the season finalee!