Thread: astrea snails

Question astrea snails

so I got myself 5 astrea snails and they are mowing down my hair algae on the glass......but....only when I put them there. Otherwise they like to sleep and do nothing (all day) near the waterline at the top.
    Question 1: Is that normal?
    Question 2: Is it bad for me to pluck them from where they are and putting them where the algae is? Cuz once I place them, they munch away till they're full I guess and make their way back to the top. Do I stress them when I do that?
    thanks.
    thien

I found that my guys were most productive as far as moving around when it was dark. I would watch them with a flashlight with the red lense on it. If you don't have one, get one! It's great to see all the Other life that comes out of the LR that you don't see during the day.
    As far as moving them. I don't think there is any problem as long as you are gentle and do not pull them too hard if they appear that they want to stay. I just pull alittle and hold and eventually they let go.

They are most active at night....usually very dormant in the daytime time.

As far as plucking them, I would not do it too much. They really hold on tight. When you do pluck them just pull aa bit, and keep a little pressure. Let them let go rather than you ripping them away.

Another thing. How big is your tank...I have a 90 gallon reef and in it I have 40 astrea snails, 20 cerith snail, bunch of nassarius snails, and few odd diferent snails here and there. I keep 3 emerald crabs, 2 brittle stars, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 blood shrimp, 4 peppermint shrimp. With all of this, I don't get hair algae but still have to use my magnet cleaner on the glass every 3-4 days. 5 snails may not be enough.

Also, the emeralds get the hair algae on the rocks better than anything else. My lawnmover blennie is great for the glass. The yellow tang and unicorn tang also pick it off everything.

What I'm getting at is, try to add livestock that has a purpose to help keep the system in check, and not just for looks. Works pretty good for me....so far.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks for the responses.

I have a 55 gallon. In addition to the 5 snails I also got 15 blue leg hermits. I'd like to add some more snails, just waiting for IJO to get some.
    thanks.
    thien

ATC
    Mouse - blennies are awesome. I was looking at the tank last night thinking that was some wierd algae pattern on the glass and I looked a little closer and it was bicolour blenny kiss prints all over 4 feet of glass
    Aven

ATC
    Cool avatar Thien!
    Aven

yeah I figure a lawnmover blennie will do the work of over 20 snails in just one night. Mine will eat anything too...hair algae, diatoms, flake food....I'd never live without one anymore.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ATC
    We got some trochus snails a couple of months ago and I find they are much better than the astera's but not as good as the blenny.
    Aven

Originally posted by ATC
    Cool avatar Thien!
    hehe...thanks. I've been waiting to hit the 50 posts mark so that I could join this exclusive club!
    thanks.
    thien

ATC
    Aven