Time for a sump?

Ok well after racking my brain for the last little bit it seems that drilling my tank will be just too much work and not in the budget. So i am using a couple canister filters and power heads. Are they as good as one of the hang of the back overflow's. Heres the one i was thinking of getting Overflow
    Its a 125 FOWLR setup.

Are you saying you are using canister filters as away to get water to and from the sump from your tank? If that's the case, and you are wanting to know if they are just as good as the hang on back one you linked to, then the answer is no. I wouldn't recommend, or use either, but there is too much that can go wrong by using 2 canister filters. If one pump dies, then you will have a flood, etc.. On the other hand, if the siphon breaks on the hob overclow you will also have a flood. I have heard a lot of people say that they have not had a siphon break in over a year or more...

If you had to pick one, I would go with the hob overflow rather then 2 pumps. I guess you should have drilled when you had the chance.. :biglaugh2

If you cant drill it I wouldn't bother running anything else. Siphon overflows are way more hassle then they are worth. You don't really need a sump other then to increase water volume and have a place to hide equipment so if drilling in not an option don't do anything else.

One option, if you really don't want to drill would be a gravity fed sump from above, But there really is no subsitute for drilling.
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

You can do a U-tube style of overflow if you wish. I have that kind of setup now and it is a lot cheaper to do it yourself than to by the unit from J&Ls. Basically, all you need to do is to do some preventive thinking when you plan out your sump and piping. For example, a scenario where your siphon is broken, where your pump is broken, where your topoff control is broken, etc. I have a simple return, but am planning on incorporating a autotop off system and havent done much thinking about it yet. In my system, I have another container inside my rubbermaid sump such that if the siphon breaks, then only the water inside that container and about an inch of sump water is pumped into the system. I have about 1.5 inches clearance in my display tank and it can hold the extra water if needed. Same thing in the event that the pumps do not work, the water is drained to the level of my return pipes and my sump can handle the extra water. It is easier and less work to go with the drilled route, but a J-tune siphon works well if it is well planned. Oh yeah, I have heard many bad things about the CPR systems on ReefCentral. Just FYI.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by colesy
    Are you saying you are using canister filters as away to get water to and from the sump from your tank? If that's the case, and you are wanting to know if they are just as good as the hang on back one you linked to, then the answer is no. I wouldn't recommend, or use either, but there is too much that can go wrong by using 2 canister filters. If one pump dies, then you will have a flood, etc.. On the other hand, if the siphon breaks on the hob overclow you will also have a flood. I have heard a lot of people say that they have not had a siphon break in over a year or more...

If you had to pick one, I would go with the hob overflow rather then 2 pumps. I guess you should have drilled when you had the chance.. :biglaugh2
    no i dont use a sump now just the filters (with carbon)for water movement

How much do you have in your budget? Can you afford the return pump, some PVC tubing etc.?

I was in your shoes a week ago. I too did not want to drill my tank and wasn't very comfortable about the overflow box. I did a lot of reading and looking into it and decided to make my own overflow box utilizing a u-tube and it's working great!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    How much do you have in your budget? Can you afford the return pump, some PVC tubing etc.?

I was in your shoes a week ago. I too did not want to drill my tank and wasn't very comfortable about the overflow box. I did a lot of reading and looking into it and decided to make my own overflow box utilizing a u-tube and it's working great!
    sounds like that may be an option can you tell me a lil more about it? Or hook me up with some links and pictures

Quote Originally Posted by joeyt66
    sounds like that may be an option can you tell me a lil more about it? Or hook me up with some links and pictures
    No problem.

1st you have to make two boxes, I made mine out of plexi-glass. One box hangs on the inside of the tank just under the water level. This allows the water to flow into it, like a weir (sp?). The other box hangs on the back of the tank. This box will need to be deeper than the inside box. This is where the siphon tube will dump the tank water and where you will install your durso stand pipe and bulkhead.

Once you have the two boxes made up you just need to make a u-tube. I made mine out of 1" PVC tubing bought at my local hardware store. I used two 90 degree elbows and a couple of peices of 1" pipe.
    You will need to insert a 1/4" nipple in the middle for extracting the air from within the u-tube in order to start and maintain the siphon. I have mine hooked up to the venturi tube on one of my powerheads to keep any air from building up. I am awaiting delivery of a Tom Aqua Lifter pump to connect to it which will work even better.

That's about it for the overflow. If you unsure about what a durso stand pipe is just google it and you will find plenty of info on it, works like a champ. My overflow box and drain are almost silent. I am very happy with the results.

The dimensions I used for my boxes were...

Inside box: 3" H x 3" W x 6" L ( I would probably make it a smidge bigger if I were to do it again, longer)

Outside box: 8" H x 3" W x 6" L

My u-tubes are roughly 1/4 - 1/2" above the floor of the boxes when hung on the tank.

If you are not the handy type I am sure your local plexi-glass retailer could build you the boxes for next to nothing. You will also need a hanger or hangers built the width of your tank to hang the boxes.

If you need anything else just let me know.

P.S. In the picture I have shown the u-tube suspended above in order to show you how it goes together, once built it will hang on the top edge of the tank as well as the overflow box.

One more thing. I just noticed the size of your tank. You may want to make your boxes twice the size, doubling everything. Including the bulkheads. My box will allow for approx. 600 gph to flow into the sump due to the 1" bulkhead. You could have two bulkhead which would give you 1200 gph. It really depends on what you are shooting for and how big of a return pump you have or are planning to get.

Here are some links I found as well.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

http://www.podzilla.us/aquascapeDS/o.../overflow.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php