Thread: bulkheads

bulkheads

what size of bulkheads would be good to have for a reef tank. I'm wondering because I'm looking into buying some now. I was told a 1.5" but don't really know so if anyone could help it would be nice and the size of the hole that would be needed to drill in the tank. Tanks all for the help.. :biggrinbo :biglaugh2 :biggrinbo

That really depends on the size of the tank & more importantly the flow rate you want in the tank. If ya don't know where yer going, any road will do.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

the size of my tank is 90 gallon. My pump pushes 18 gallons a min. I want to turn this into a reef tank.. :biglaugh2

A 1.5" bulkhead can do that, but from experiance having your return pump pushing over 1000gph is tricky to balance & still doesn't give you all the flow you'll want in the 90G for a reef tank, if you're planing on sps.

I'd look at a smaller return pump from your sump, perhaps a Mag7 and think about a closed loop, which means drilling more holes & more bulkheads.

Hindsight being 20/20, if you're going to drill, drill a lot of holes

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Hi Ray, hope things are good.

On my 90, I had a 2.5 inch hole cut for a bulkhead that had a 1.5 inch inside diameter. I was using a Mag 7 pump so you would be fine with your pump.

Marty

thanks Marty nice to hear from you.. Still not done getting it all together taking a lot of time. Hope to be done soon. the pump pushes 18 gallons a min @ 1' but about 13 to 14 gallons @ 4'. So that should be good I hope.

You should be fine with your pump but as Krugar mentionned, you will want a lot more flow/ water movement in the tank. You can do this using powerheads or have a few more holes drilled and intall a closed loop. You will want to have a lot of flow inside the tank itself but the total amount depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank.

I think you should also consider two 1.5 inchs overflows. The idea is that if something happends to block a strainer, you will avoid an overflow.

Not mandatory, but one less thing to worry about.

-yvest