Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you keep in your refugium

I am thinking about getting one of the 16"x12"x4" acrylic city refugiums (HOT) as I have no sump. It would be going on my 70G tall tank. I am interested in generating life to eventually support a mandarin as well as growing macro algae to pull nutrients out of the tank.

My question is what do people put in their refugiums and what does it accomplish?

Spaghetti algae (Chaetomorpha) is probably the best over all for a macro in you fuge.

The pods & mysis will find their way into the fuge if you already have some in your tank. If you don't you'll need to get a colony from someplace. If you have any live rock, it's hard not to have pods though.

The algea helps give them a place to crawl around on, but you'll likely also want some live sand and rock in the fuge as well.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Fuges can be used as a complete source for your main tank's filteration and behind the scenes-type activity.

My Fuge includes:
    - heater
    - live rock
    - cheato
    - HOB filter with carbon and poly filter

Its convienent to set things up as such; so that you hide a bit of the equipment and allow for a 'safe' place for small inverts to grow. My fuge growsmysis as well as pods, which is enough to support my sixline and orchid dottyback.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

gvv
    Not sure that refuge is nice place to put the heater and filter - I prefer to put them into sump. Flow in the refuge usually is not enough to heat/filter the water.
    I think LR and Chaetomorpha are enough for refuge.
    Regards

I have around 80lbs of live rock and I have seen small shrimp like things in the tank.

Given the 12x16x4" dimensions, how much rock should I be putting in? On the live sand front, is aragonite substrate OK? Can I just take some from the bottom of the tank?

Also, what level of water flow is appropriate?

Thanks!

ToX
    I got a dsb of aragonite, cheato algea one piece of LR in the fuge and one snail

In my fuge I have a DSB with chaeto and some live rock, I also have some softy frags.

gvv, Id mostly agree with you, but it depends on how you design your fuge. Mine is baffeless, so there is lots of flow. This works fine, but I'll admit to a small mircobubble issue due to this setup. Ive tried it with baffels and I find crud tends to build in the fuge in this setup. For my setup, the trade-off is worth the small amount of bubbles.

How much LR in the fuge? well, i say as much as possible is a good idea. As long as there is still enough flow.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

How much flow is enough flow?

In my 12g fuge I have 5 inches of aragonites with chaeto and some live rock too. I would say that I have a slow circulation in there but my chaeto is growing like crazy.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast