Siphoning aragonite

Just wondering what people do when they do their water changes. I have, to date, just been siphoning water out from the top of the tank and then replacing with new water. Do people siphon their crushed aragonite beds at all? Rocks? I am worried that, by trying to siphon rock, I will damage things.

My perc went for a ride this last water change - swam right up to the hose and into the bucket he went. Back into the tank and happy as only a perc can be. Think I need a smaller hose hyeah:

lol thats funny...

siphon the aragonite if u have less than 3 inches, but if u have more u might release excess nitrates into the tank

i don't see problem with siphoning rocks, i do it all the time to get rid of debris

I don't siphon in my main tank unless something is really wrong. My cleanup crew do a nice job without my having to do much more. When I do siphon I use an old gravel vacuum that I had when I kept fresh water tanks 25 years ago. It's a 2" plastic pipe about 12" long with a fitting on the top for a 1/2" pipe. You control the flow of water by pinching the 1/2" pipe so that detritis gets siphones but the aragonite just floats around in the big pipe before falling back to the bottom of the aquarium.

My philosophy has always been to get it running and leave it alone. If you did a good job of selecting the elements in the tank within two or three months everything will settle in and you can keep your hands out from that point on.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

I like your philosophy - the less time I spend with my hands in the tank the better the tank should be...

For a clean up crew I have snails (astrea and cerith ~35), blue legged hermit crabs ~25 and one cleaner shrimp plus whatever came with the rock. It is a 70G tall with around 2 1/2 inches of crushed aragonite (deeper in some parts at the back of the tank) Do I need to add anything else?

I'm not an expert. If you adhere to my philosophy you've got enough cleaners if your aquarium is as clean as you want it. You may also be interested to know that I rarely do water changes. I just leave the thing alone and it takes care of itself. Of course, I'm not keeping anything difficult. I've only got one LPS at this point (a hammer that I got from Patrick that is doing very nicely) and the rest is colts, mushrooms, leathers, and zoos.

I like an easy to keep, attractive aquarium. I don't want to do a whole lot of testing or fiddling. I measure the health of the tank by the health of the critters in it. The shrimp are huge and moulting every couple of weeks. The corals are growing and look very healthy. The clowns are laying eggs. The aquarium's good.

Mine is not a philosophy that is shared by a large number of the members here on AC but it works for me. I want to look at and enjoy the beauty of the aquarium. For me it is all about the destination, not the journey.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

An interesting perspective - I am enjoying the journey immensely - I just think that the less my hands are in the tank disturbing things the better. Big believer in the water change etc.

My tank sparkles but I cannot see into the sand bed. Anyone else have clean up crew advise? I don't think I want one of those sand sifting gobies as I am trying to keep the fish load low.

I find water changes incredibly disruptive. I've got corals right up to the water surface so taking out a large volume of water leaves them high and dry. I've also been doing this for over 20 years and I've done my share of testing and adjusting. I'm in the glory days now of just enjoying my tank.

The sand bed will get really dirty. As long as it keeps getting mixed it will be fine and do its job. You might want to consider a strawberry conch (available here from Ivan) or a larger hermit crab. My 3" white spotted hermit does a GREAT job of turning over the sand bed.

Hank.

I have 1 1/2 to 2" of arragonite in my 90 sps tank. I vacuum only half the bottom every other month and alternate. I use a python hose for this. Many of my sps are exposed out of the water while I performe water changes without having any negative affects.