Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred and Barney

Fred and Barney

Everyone, I'm sure, will remember my large tomato clowns Fred and Barney. I moved them into the 25 gallon tank so that they would have some privacy to raise their babies. Fred didn't like the new tank and her health declined. Back on January 24, 2006 I undertook a major rebuild of the two tanks with new aquascaping and new placements for several of the fish. Fred and Barney went back to the 90g and the narrow line puffer and two large hermit crabs went to the 25g. I mused at the time wondering how long it would take for them to start laying again.

18 weeks 5 days.

There's a big clutch of orange eggs on a rick beside their very large nest.

Now I'm back to trying to figure out how to keep the babies alive.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

hey man, good to hear they're laying again

I remember u started phyto and coepod cultures, start by moving the eggs to a different tank and keep a airpump pumping air at the eggs, when they hatch feed the phyto i suppose, move them to zooplankton when they get bigger

man good luck with it, if u succeed remember to post pics of the progress and share the babies!!

Thats awesome Hank!

I'm pretty pleased. I'm going to haev to give the glass a quick clean and see if I can get a picture. I'll probably let them go for a while to see how they settle in to the routine. Last time they were laying every two weeks. I'm going to try to get the babies through the phyto stage using bottled live phyto concentrate.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

I just shot a picture up into photopost.

Hank.

You could try letting the parents look after the eggs. They'll hatch at night and are attracted to light. When they're going to hatch is very predictable.

If you google, there's a DIY device to siphon out the fry after they've hatched. I've read a lot of people have had success with it. You might also want to check the breeder forum @ reefcentral.

From what I've read (I've been thinking about trying to breed clowns) this is probably the easiest way to do it.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

There is no phyto stage for the babies... The phyto is only to feed the rotifer...

-yvest

Quote Originally Posted by goth
    There is no phyto stage for the babies... The phyto is only to feed the rotifer...

-yvest
    i'm pretty sure clownfish babies go through a plankton stage, i'm sure thats what hank meant. most all saltwater fish do...

Goth was right. I'm going to use the bottled live phyto concentrate to feed rotifers. My plan is to co-culture. Phyto, roties, and babies all in the same tank. I can't remember what the timeline is but it seems to me that it's about 10 days before they graduate to baby brine. From there it is relatively easy.

Hank.

Feeding is no longer the problem it used to be. But the time involved hasn't changed. You need to litterally babysit them night and day. Lots and I do mean lots of water changes. Good luck, fun project.
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast