Thread: Boom ! ! !

Boom ! ! !

Got some new stuff last Friday, mushroom, hermits and 1 fish.
    I also added some live rock to my 20g.

Everything was OK since this morning. :rant:

When I added the stuff, all was OK, clean glass with a bit of coraline, the bottom of the tank was not to bad ether ...... then this morning......BOOM!!! Algea on the glass and a diatom outreak on the bottom.

What happend?

Or is all of the because I've just put in fresh lights and extended my lighting houres :confused-

Please advise :help:
    P.S. I'm french so I never make any typos......they are actual mistakes :sorry:
    I'm not in a rush.....but I am on a budget! :bigcry:

ijo
    Could be the live rock... new lights and/or the amount of time you leave them on. Its more than likely a combination of everything. Was the rock fully cured?

IJO

They better be ..... I got them from you last Friday. :biglaugh2 kiedokie

Will everything level out?

Can I stile add some stuff (1 clown and 1 hairy mushroom) tonight? Or should I wait :bawling:

If you are available arround 5 ..... this time I'm brigning cash.

There is some nice stuff in your tank and want to ask about when I get there. :drool:

ijo
    hehe ok... its fully cured!!!

I would test a few parameters(Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate) before adding anything else to your setup to amke sure things are ok. It would be a good idea to lower your photo period until you get a handle on things(adding a cleanup crew will also help)

IJO

Some algae on the glass is normal, all healthy systems need to clean the glass.

The brown diatom on the otherhand is likely from a latent nutrient load in the water. You suddenly added a bunch of light (replacing the lights alone could double the amount of light, if the previous lights were old) then extending the lighting period adds even more.

You might want to cut back to the original level of lighting then start trying to remove the diatoms. Try to adjust the water flow to strike the brown areas lightly and keep it in suspension. If you have a skimmer, make sure it is running well (maybe shift it a little wetter for a while).

You can try to syphon some out (not using a gravel cleaner in the fresh water style). Just put a syphon hose in the tank and move it around over top of the brown patches. Some will float up and into the hose.

Neither algae nor diatoms are catastrophic, so don't panic. Just keep picking away at it.

This is also a sign that you should hold up with additions until the tank is stable again. Another fish will add more bioload and will likely accelerate the diatoms.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

All parameters are OK.

PH 8.2
    Amonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Cal 340 working on getting this up.

What is a good cleanup crew for a 20g?
    I have:
    4 hermit crabs
    3 astrea snail
    2 catatonic spiney astrea snail
    3 cerith snail
    3 nassarius snail

Anything out there that likes diatom?

ToX
    I would say
    5 blue legs hermit
    5 astreas
    5 cerith
    5 nassarius