Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much and how often do people add kalk to reactors?

Set up one of Blinky's kalk reactors last night and was wondering how much kalk people put into their reactors at a time and how often they replenish. I am dripping about 1 gallon per day top up and the reactor has about a 2 1/2 gallon capacity.

Anybody?

I put a tablespoon in yesterday and plan to monitor calc and alk but I have heard of people putting in a cup or two with the idea that it keeps the reactor with lots to use over a period of a month or two. Seen pictures of like 50/50 sludge too. Seems to me that if you put in more than can be dissolved, the only downside is when it is all mixed up from the powerhead that you are dripping a suspension that is a higher concentration than saturated. This would allow for less maintenance in terms of adding additional kalk.

Blinky suggests two cups for starters but I am nervous...

Need some guidance here please hyeah:

1-2 cups is probably right. I add about 2 tablespoons to 5 gallon (not in a reactor). I believe the one time use ratio is 1/2 teaspoon per litre.

So, in a reactor, you would want way more.

The key is to have it so that the sludge stays closer to the bottom and the water out (effluent) comes from the nearly clear water at the top.

If the power head mixes it completely, you would want to set it up so that so that while the power head runs, it doesn't top off. It would then allow the water to settle for 1/2 hour or more before starting to top off again.

If the power head is running slowly enough not to cause the water at the top to get clowdy, you should be fine.

All this being said, I don't run a reactor. This is just IMO. ;-)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have a diy 4' tall reactor that I fill with a pound or so each 2 months or so. The power head is on for 1 min every other hour. Never had a problem with this set up.
    Jason

Jaden,

What kind of timer do you use that allows you to program it in 1 minute increments :confused-

Most digital timers will allow multiple short "on" times.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Any digital timer will do the trick. As for kalk powder getting into the tank. I have run this reactor with next to no problems for about 2 years. The reactor is so tall as to not worry really whats coming out the top. And if it's going to your sump, some precipate in the top up water is unlikely to have any negative effects on your display. Even with this large reactor I still use a diy 2 part calcium/alk additive.
    Jason

I've never looked at digital timers - will have to check that out.

Do you drip 24 hours or just at night?

It depends, for the last couple of months I have not had time to monitor my tank as much as I would like. So I drip at night and use a 2 part additive. When time permits more attentiveness, I drip 24/7.
    Jason

I have the smaller kalk reactor from acrylic city. I add 150mL kalk & that lasts around 3 weeks. (I have a light to moderate Ca demand though)

I drip it 7/24 @ 150mL / hour, I've got a timer that turns on the pump to mix the kalk for 15 minutes every 6 hours.

I replace the kalk when the mix looks low or I'm noticing a drop in Ca / Alk in the tank. I admit I'm getting lazy, but I try to test Ca & Alk once a week.

I have noticed that the reactor needs to be cleaned out about every 3rd fill. This is pretty easy, I fill it with RO water, add a cup of vinegar & run the mixing pump for an hour.

Then I give it a good rinsing with RO water before putting it back into service.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast