Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Keeping corals....

Ok what is the secret trick you all are not telling?
    Well my tank is a relatively new setup (january 06) evrything seems to be goin fine, adding fish slowly and no casulties yet (except for the lions victims)
    knock on wood. So recently I have been trying to add some of the more hardier corals so the LR looks a little dressed up, Ive tried a few frags of zoos some pulsin xzeinia, a leather coral frag a couple pink tip anenomes and all have died within 24hours. These were tried over the last 2-3 months one at a time. I have checked my water parms ( amonia nitrite nitrate phosate PH salinity) and all are fine. I know my lighting is a little weak, its is just the normal output florecent but i have 6 40 watt tubes on the tank. I know the lighting is poor but i think the problem is else where, because the lights where i buy the corals from is only 2 tubes across there tank and they are NO as well. Can someone tell me that little secret please? :bawling:

ps whats in the tank is now in my signature. How do i get it to show up at the bottom of my posts?

lol never mind that question about the signature lol :hysterica

The only thing that I could think of is checking your Calcium. Also keep them high up on your rockwork as close to the light as possible. Hope this helps.
    I had xenia in my tank before with MH's and VHO's and I couldn't keep it. Now the dam stuff grows like weeds!!! I have no idea why.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I think it is your lighting, a couple of NO tubes in a tank that is size isn't nearly enough. You should take a serious look at a minimum of either t5 or vho.

Maybe NO does not penetrate the water as much.
    Just a thought but if youre retailer had some...
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzy
    I think it is your lighting, a couple of NO tubes in a tank that is size isn't nearly enough. You should take a serious look at a minimum of either t5 or vho.
    I have 6 tubes 40 watts each where i am getting the frags they only have 2 tubes of 40 watts and they seem to be ok in that tank. Thats why i am not convinced it is the lighting.

Your lighting is not very good, but that will not kill things in 24 hours. They will brown up and waste away over weeks.

I hate to suggest this, because it would be very bad, but have you ever had metals like copper near your system?

Do you have healthy snails?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bvoss
    Your lighting is not very good, but that will not kill things in 24 hours. They will brown up and waste away over weeks.

I hate to suggest this, because it would be very bad, but have you ever had metals like copper near your system?

Do you have healthy snails?

Bill
    I dont have very many snails in the setup yet but i dont see them very often i have hermit crabs mostly ( they like to eat my snails). I wonder should i buy a copper test kit just to make sure. the fish dont seem to be bothered by anything very healthy and active.

Yeah, I am assuming that you are getting the corals from pet paridise in Kingston. They do keep them under NO lighting, but they do not thrive in that water and look very poor after they have been in there for any length of time. I used to run NO on my tank but upgraded to T5 and it is just awesome, I did not get any corals till I had T5 as I knew it would not be good for them.

How deep is your tank?

Also the copper would not effect your fish at all, so it is a possibility.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast