Thread: Puffers

Puffers

Hi guys, I have question about puffers and it's quite easy, what do you think about them?? I mean I love those big puffers with those big eyes and everything, like the one Ijo's got to sell. I read some are not reef safe, I won't have a whole lot of Corals in my tank but I'd like some, so would you consider against puffers or what???

Thanks

Pick your bread well. Research them well. Lots of people keep them successfully.

You will likely not be able to keep much else in the same tank, fish or coral.

Some puffers grow to 45 cm (18"). You will need a 300 gallon tank for the biggest ones. Others don't grow past 4". These will be fine in a smaller (55 gallon) tank.

But, I do like the look of them as well. I'm just not currently willing to set up a species tank.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I've got a narrow line puffer that I really like. It is quite big. The problem with puffers is that they will eat anything. I had a beautiful crop of mottled brown stomatellas and a couple of big, beautiful black ones and the puffer ate them. It ate all my small hermit crabs. The bigger snails are generally ok unless they end up upside down on the bottom of the tank then they're finished. They have a lot of character but you're probably better off with a puffer tank that is FOWLR.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Yeah, I wont have a whole lot of corals I mean, I dont want to go off and go crazy, I start with like you say FOWLR and see what happens. I was doing a bit of research and I see that some are ok, but what are good tank mates, I got a 75 Gallon tank, not started yet, but what I want in it is 2 surgeons, 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimps or more maybe, will get more hermits also so I wonder if those fish will be good tank mates, except of course the hermits.

I've got two large hermits in with my puffer. I've got a grey striped hermit that's about 1.25" across the shell and a white spotted that's about 3" across the shell. He was fine even with the larger scarlett hermits in the big tank. It was just the little blue legged hermits that he ate. My puffer is super docile. It was good in the tank with a yellow tang, damsels, and clowns. Right now it's in a tank with Gkilla's maroon clown Ruby and they get along just fine (in fact, I'm starting to wonder about those two. I wonder what puffclowns would look like?) Anita read a site that said that you have to feel the puffer foods that will grind it's beak down or they will start to nip at the fins of their tank mates. If you feed it large shrimp and small muscles from the grocery store you'll save money over prepared fish foods and you'll keep your puffer fat and happy.

As long as you're prepared for the fact that the puffer will grow fairly quikly and will probably limit the corals you can put into your tank then go for it. We really like our puffer.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr