Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Six Line & Copperbanded?

Oh the fun never ends...

I'm finally, slowly winning the hair algae battle only to find that flat worms have been hiding in the algae. (greatly reduced feeding, over skimming, phosban reactor, weekly "weeding". It's still a pain but I'm getting there.)

I've got enough of them that I'm worried about using flatworm exit because of the spike dead flat worms are going to cause. So I'm looking for a natural control & a sixline wrasse immediately came to mind.

But I've already got a happy, healthy, pod munching Copper Banded Butterfly in the tank. He eats frozen mysis as well, but I'm a wee bit concerned the wrasse will upset the balance here.

So a) is this even a concern? and b) realistically how effective are sixlines on flatworms?

Any other suggestions for non chemical control?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Like being infested with ants and putting out one ant trap. Yeah the ant trap will get a few, but it won't solve the problem. As far as I'm aware, the only way to rid your tank will be to dose with Flatworm Exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper
    Like being infested with ants and putting out one ant trap. Yeah the ant trap will get a few, but it won't solve the problem. As far as I'm aware, the only way to rid your tank will be to dose with Flatworm Exit.
    Is that from personal experience? It's just that you're at the opposite end of the scale from what I just read on wetweb.

I might eventually dose flatworm exit, but I'm against chemicals if there's a reasonable natural solution to try first.

I guess I'm still trying to debate if one of IJO's new sixlines is a good fit for my tank. A nudi is definately out, assuming I could even find one, the sieo would turn it into very expensive coral food.

The flatworms aren't a problem yet, more of an eyesore. I'm hoping that adding something that will eat them will keep them below the eyesore level. They don't actually hurt anything as long as they don't reach plague levels & smother out a coral.

Cheers!

if your against EXIT then probaly a yellow wrasse would work. i had one and he was very good at hunting. will he affect the CB, hard to say. if the CB is eating prepped foods then you might be okay

I've seen the recommendation for a yellow wrasse before, definately a consideration.

I'm also thinking that if a wrasse would help, the fairy wrasse listed in the shopping cart might be more interesting than a sixline, any thoughts?

Cheers!

I noticed some flatworms on the front glass but then saw my banded pipefish eating them. He did this weird up/down/sideways motion on the glass picking the worms off. Its been 2 months since Ive seem any worms...

I thought pipefish needed a low flow environment?

Mine are doing incredibly well for my tanks flow. They always stay around the rocks and not out in the open unless the Tunze's are off. I think they've even laid eggs a few times or atleast gone though the motions of breeding.

I had a Huge infestation of them, i made 2 additions to my tank and i havent seen one (and i Look really hard)
    I got a mandarin goby, who constantly pecks the rock, and i also got an arrow crab, who ive seen catch bristle worms and use to to scoop up flatworms.
    I also found increased flow helps.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

here is the arrowcrab, if you look closely he's got a worm in his hand.. claw, pincher...

Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast