Thread: more sand?

more sand?

Hi,

I currently have about 2 inches of Caribsea reef sand in the tank. Was wondering if it would be beneficial to:

1. add an inch of the sugar sized on top
    OR
    2. mix in some sugar sized with the existing.

Are there any benefits of adding that stuff? Any problems with either options? Don't bother? Do it just for the look?

Thanks.
    thanks.
    thien

There are so many opinions on this. I like to keep my DSB all a uniform conistency but there are arguments for having finer sand mixed in. It's a tough call. I don't think it would hurt. If you are looking for a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) then I would add another 2 inches of something....make it 3.5 to 4 inches. This was a response I made on a similar thread here not too long ago.....

I wrote then:

Particle size, shape, depth and uniformity are much in discourse amongst reefers. Some users find very fine oolithic "dust" of less than one millimeter best, others prefer 3-4 millimeters diameter, and some even larger "rubble". For the purposes cited, I am of the 1-3mm school.

Shape should be broadly spherical (versus more two dimensional for typical silica-based substrates).

Depth depends on grade (smaller sizes should be less deep) and whether you utilize a plenum or not. You want the space between all the sand to be hypoxic, that is low in oxygen (somewhere between 0.1 and 0.25ppm if you’re counting), but no anoxic, i.e., lacking oxygen, for all the problems of anaerobiosis (that black, rotten-egg smelling condition) that can bring on.

Somewhere between 1-4 inches depth without a plenum and two to a few inches with one is about right.

Uniformity in your Live Sand size, shape and depth is not "the hobgoblin of little minds", and should be what you strive for. Whether you’re collecting, making or buying your LS from a dealer, do your best to screen it to assure its uniformity. Standardization in turn assures maximized utility and diminished degrees of channeling and packing down.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I'm going to agree with Mouse but also add that you should do it slowly. Add little mounds here and there and let it settle out by itself. Or even move it around a bit at a time. You don't want to "smother" the existing bed with the new stuff.

Very true...if your existing bed is established, do the mound trick. Make a 4 inch round mound about 3 inches high....it'll settle out and your live sand bed will not suffer. good Point.

:bananadan :bananadan :bananadan :bananadan
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!