Thread: Critters MIA

Critters MIA

I am missing 3 critters now :thinking:

1-Yellow Goby
    1-Anemone Crab
    1-Purple Slug

I could see the slug currently residing in my pumping but not the other two.
    I just bought the yellow goby 3 days ago and the anemone crab makes no sense at all, he was always with my red anemone, maybe he ate him??

The only suspects I could think of in my tank would be...

Coral Banded Shrimp
    Purple Lobster
    Anemones - Sebae, Red and Long tentacle

I am just baffled as to where these critters have gone.

Well depending on the size of the anemone, all three things you're missing could be lunch.

The crab may have molted & decided to lay low a while for the new shell to harden, give him a couple days before you call him missing.

If the slug is in your plumbing, he's likely to turn up in your sump if you have one, or find the wrong end of a pump if you don't. In which case, has your skimmer freaked out reciently?

The goby could just have dug a nest someplace you can't easily see, if he's a chicken in general, try sitting well back from the tank. Have a coffee & he might come out after a couple minutes.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

When I first put a yellow goby in my tank at home, he disappeared the next day. Didn't find him for weeks. He was hiding out in the sump.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

My YW Goby decided to have his home in the back of the tank were I can't see it...

I only see it every couple of days or so...
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

In my 75 my YWG was MIA for over a week before I saw it again.

I also have a Pistol shrimp in the same tank. They are paired up.

Any of the three anemonies or the lobster might make a snack of a small inattentive fish.

They may not have survived aclimation (how exactly did you do this?). Slugs in particular should be aclimated over two hours (or more). They might take a day or three to die after too quick an adjustment.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cres
    In my 75 my YWG was MIA for over a week before I saw it again.

I also have a Pistol shrimp in the same tank. They are paired up.

Any of the three anemonies or the lobster might make a snack of a small inattentive fish.

They may not have survived aclimation (how exactly did you do this?). Slugs in particular should be aclimated over two hours (or more). They might take a day or three to die after too quick an adjustment.
    I acclimated my slugs over 2 weeks ago, he's been motoring around for a while. I let the bag float in my tank for 1/2 hour, then drained 1/3 of the LFS water from the bag, put in a very small amount of my water. Put more of my water in every 15-20 minutes for a couple of hours, finally I scooped him out and put him in the tank. Same process I use for everything I put in the tank.

Well I have had an experience with missing fish.Bicolor angle,domino damsel,and a yellow goby as well.I have yet to find any.You may have a hungry hitchhiker in there somewhere or perhaps carpet surfing or as the others have said could be the anenomes.If you have bristle worms they would make short work of a dead fish plus the cleaning crew.

Quote Originally Posted by picnic
    Well I have had an experience with missing fish.Bicolor angle,domino damsel,and a yellow goby as well.I have yet to find any.You may have a hungry hitchhiker in there somewhere or perhaps carpet surfing or as the others have said could be the anenomes.If you have bristle worms they would make short work of a dead fish plus the cleaning crew.
    I am really starting to wonder, just added a scooter bleny to the list :crap:

If you can I'd suggest taking the LR pick out any hicth hikers and return it to the tank.I may have to do the same this weekend before I get anymore new fish. eeved: My GF has told me she sees 4-6 small crab in my tank(hitch hikers)they may be the culprits.