Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help>>> Clownfish not doing to good

Hi I currently have two clownfish in my quarantine tank and one does not look like it is doing to good... I know that they can change their sex and the one that is getting bigger is not letting the other one eat when I feed them...When I first purchased these they were both eating very well...the bigger one keeps attacking the smaller one and he is starting to lose some of his color and even small parts of his fins...what should I do...I've had them in quarantine for 1.5 weeks...is there anything I can do to help the smaller one or should I just leave them be and hope for the best??? should I put the bigger one in my main tank so that I can concentrate on the little one or will this just start the whole process again once they are both in the main tank...thanks for the info

Claude

if you can put a spacer right in the middle of the tank with one clown on one side and the other one on the other. Might give him a bit of a chance to heal.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Very common for clowns. What I did is I put the smaller of the clowns in my sump for a month or so, I fed him every day but not much. The clown in the main tank got bigger. Then when I put the small one back in, because there was such a difference in size, the small one was more submissive and the bigger one was less aggressive. To this day they can get fairly aggressive once in a while, especialy if i underfeed for a few days, but it never gets to the point where the small one is getting fins bit off. Now its more like an old couple bickering at each other

HTH
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

You could also pick up a breeder to hang inside the tank. Put the smaller clown in the breeder & it'll get some alone time to fatten up. Both clowns will still be able to see each other & they may get used to one another. Or not.

Just because one will morph into a female & the othe a male doesn't mean they're going to like each other... Usually they'll work it out though if they're the only 2 clowns around.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'd say put the smaller of the 2 in the main tank first, give it a couple days to set up shop. If you put the bigger one in first he is going to give the little guy a whole new round of butt kicking when they meet again.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

I'd lean towards putting them in at the same time if it's a new tank, neither would have a territory yet & the bigger tank provides more space to get away from a more agressive fish while they work it out.

The HOT breeder suggestion was only while their in QT.

Cheers!

id say put the smaller one in the tank first, set up a territory, and get him nice and Fat

then put the bigger one in.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

The problem is that they've only been in QT for 1.5 weeks. It's risky putting any of the fish into the display today.

If they've not sorted out their agression before the QT has ended, then putting one in earlier than the other might be an option.

In the mean time, something has to be done to allow both fish to get through QT.

A hang on the tank breeder box is pretty cheap, easy solution and it allows isolation of the smaller fish while they're still in QT.

QT should be from 4 - 6 weeks.

Cheers!

I would say that letting the small one in the main display is a bad idea. The big one will VEVER get dominated by the small one as she will always be bigger. The bigger she gets and the quicker the better. If the small clown is much smaller, he is less likely to even try to dominate and more likely to become submisive which he will end up having to do anyway because he is smaller. The bigger one will also feel LESS threatened as she gets fater and fater.

The closer in size they are it seams the more aggressive they get towards each other.

Favouring the growth of the smaller one IME will only make the aggression last longer as the small one will keep thinking he has a chance at being the dominant big female, and the big one will feel threatened and fight back relentlessly.

Hope that helps clear things up.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Fair enough, I was just under the impression the larger one was about the kill the smaller & it needed some space to heal up before they meet up again.

Otherwise I agree with reefsurfer.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast