Need info on Setting up a Jelly fish tank!

[For some reason I keep on getting an Error message when posting in general]
    (admin please move this thread to it proper location thanks)

So my friend is thinking of setting up a 120g tank for a Jelly fish.
    Would a chiller be necessary? Also, any place in Ottawa/montreal have or can order them in?
    Any info or tip would be great thanks.
    Newbie in training

I found this site here to be very informative on Jelly fish, but is there anyone here who have first hand experience with them before?
    Newbie in training

What site?

The only jellyfish I've run into are pests in a reef tank & I wasn't terribly concerned with keeping them happy.

But... I'm pretty sure IJO can order you in a chiller if you want / need one. But you may also have to budget in a controller.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

One thing I remember reading about keeping jellyfish was that the tank should circular, or at least oval. The reason being that in a regular square or rectangular tank, the jellyfish will get stuck in the corners, because they do not have eyes, or much smarts for that matter. :wink5:

To get more info about jellyfish keeping, why not do a search on the net? How about checking out wet web media? I'm sure that doing a search with "jellyfish keeping" would turn up a few hits. :wink5: Here is one:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ortogero/jellyfish.html

HTH

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

more importantly, what kind of jelly fish

moonjellies are not photosynthetic, and u can feed them same food as ur corals pretty much, they float around all day and need only actinic and daylight lighting, nothing huge either

upside-down jellies are heavily light demanding cause they are almost exclusively photosynthetic. thye sit around on sandy bottoms all day and don't do much. u'd need to use VHO or MH for these guys.

moon jellies require pristine water conditions, anything u see at public aquarias with thousands in on tank is because they have heavy filtration and a budget to change water every day.

upside down jellies on the other hand, can tolerate high water temperature and high polutant levels cause they originate from such conditions. ammonnia does almost nothing to them

both are tropical species and u would not need a chiller. if you plan on collecting ur own, then just match the condition at which u collected.

on thing important for all jellies, most live in open waters, and cannot tolerate high water movement, and usually require a constant supply of food, what ever it may be.

also, avoid air bubbles in their tanks, as it may attach to them and kill them. if u use power heads for circulation, put something over the intakes so they don't kill themselves.

i would use a sump w/ overflow. put live rocks in the sump and what not.

Thanks guys, i actually did some research on them and the only one that i can get my hands on in ottawa are the upside down jelly fish. My friend wants the Moontype one that swims all day long.
    I just wanted to see if anyone in AC have ever kept them before.

I will keep everyone updated when we plan on setting it up with pictures and info. Please keep me update with any tips and advice you can give me whenever you come upon interesting fact.
    I will do my part. :confused-
    Newbie in training

theres an online supplier callled Jelliqarium or something they supply everything u need for keeping jellies, i dunnno if they supply to canada but u can try and ask them

found the URL, its Midwatersysmtem.com

expensive, but u can get an idea what u need

Ricepicker I give you two thumbs up!
    Thanks for the info.
    Newbie in training

the poster said be all that you can be.. so i did