Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Bullies

Tank Bullies

I have 3 orange perculas, 2 black perculas and 2 maroon clowns in my 55gal tank. Along with them I have a few corals and 2 anemones.

I just purchased the maroon clowns 3 days ago. They have been very shy and tend to spend a lot of time hiding in the rocks.

2 days ago I noticed my one larger black clown hogging all of the anemones and my flower pot coral, which all the clowns seem to like playing in. He won't let any of the other clowns enter the anemones or the flower pot. He will put up with the other black clown but that is about it. The rest of them sort over hover around trying to get in.

I then noticed that the black clown has picking off my maroon clowns when ever they came near causing them to immediately return to hiding in the rocks.

I decided to catch the bully and remove him from the tank in order to give the new comers a chance to get comfortable in the tank and mingle around a bit and to see if all the others would get along.

After one day and I can see that the other black clown has filled the position of "tank bully", he doesn't play in the anemone or the corals at all like the big black one would after forcing all others out. He just sort of keeps all the other clowns at bay, not letting them too close to the anemones or the corals almost like he is guarding them, holding them for the larger black clown.

After trying to catch him and give him a time out as well. I decided to just let things be, I put the original bully back in and he picked up right where he left off.

Will things just settle down on their own? should I just let nature take it's course? It's not like the black clowns are going out of their way to attack the other tank mates or anything, more like they are just hogs and won't share.
    Do these fish just need to setup a "society" where certains ones rule and others follow?

ToX
    Your not suppose to have more then a pair of clown in a tank, espacially a 55...

Great! Chaulk up another lying LFS owner, man these guys piss me off!!!!!

Now I don't know what to do. I am 99% sure he won't take them back now.

an 125 with lots of hiding spots and an anemone for every two clowns would solve ur problem...

or u can solve ur problem by researching first, LFS don't always know what they're talkign about unfortunately.

i suggest selling some of ur clowns online

Thanks. I will sell all my clowns.

Don't sell all of them, they're pretty cool fish. Just drop down to 2 of them.

The most agressive one is going to be your female. As counter intuitive as is sounds, keep the meanest clown and the smallest clown. The smaller one should turn into a male & they should hit it off. More likely if they're the same species of clown, but cross species pairing is common.

The closer the species the more common it is. Breading a great dane & a chiuaua isn't likely. Fish don't work the same way, but the greater the size difference the less likely it is to happen. (Okay I know of at least one example of a tomatoe male mated with a ocellaris female. Definately an odd couple & I lost track of it so I don't know if the eggs were viable.)

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Update:

I took my two black perculas and 3 orange perculas back to my LFS yesterday. I also had a very lengthy discussion with the owner, my sales rep. about selling me fish he knows full well will not get along. He told me he has had success with different species in his tanks but I called bullsh*t! Maybe in a temporary tank without anemones.

Regardless I now only have 2 maroon clowns. They haven't "paired" as of yet, I am hoping that they will. Now that all the others are gone perhaps they will relax and share the anemones and pair up.

These two clowns have never gone near my flower pot so I am hoping they will leave it alone altogether.

I appreciate everyone's input/advice. I learned my lesson well. I told the wife last night that we will not be buying ANYTHING anymore without first researching it very thoroughly.

ToX
    good for you!!!

There is alot of people that are keeping 3 clowns with success. one is female, one is male, and the last one doesn't have a sex. When one of them dies it will take the male role etc....

so you can keep 2 or 3 clowns, but not 7

Quote Originally Posted by ToX
    There is alot of people that are keeping 3 clowns with success.
    I've got a tank full of bullies in my 90 gallon tank. They include three large tomato clowns. The two biggest are nested at one end of the tank and the smallest hangs out at the other end.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    These two clowns have never gone near my flower pot so I am hoping they will leave it alone altogether.

I appreciate everyone's input/advice. I learned my lesson well. I told the wife last night that we will not be buying ANYTHING anymore without first researching it very thoroughly.
    don't get flowerpot corals (gonipora sp.), they are way to hard to maintain in captivity, not likely to survive past 6mts time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast