Any idea what this is??

I have had this web like substance floating around in my tank in the morning for the past 2 days, any ideas what it might be?

Do you have any wrasses in your tank? When I had wrasses they sleep in cacoons, and spin these webs and would find them every once in a while, could be a broken one, if you have a wrasse.

This is likely the web of a Terebellid Worm. It is basically a fishing net that will pull food out of the water. I had one whose net was tangling in a Gorgonian coral. It seemed to irriate the coral at the point of contact. But, in general, these are harmless.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gools
    Do you have any wrasses in your tank? When I had wrasses they sleep in cacoons, and spin these webs and would find them every once in a while, could be a broken one, if you have a wrasse.

Not that I know of, LOL I guess anything is possible though.

I agree with cres, looks like a Terebellid Worm net.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Agree with above. I have a large one growing out of my P.rugosa. I placed it where it doesn't really bother anyone. Cool to watch him pull it in with his mouth. If it gets too large (net) then just turkey baster it.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    I agree with cres, looks like a Terebellid Worm net.

Cheers!
    Really eh?, wonder where it came from all of the sudden. LOL

Last night just B4 bed the webbing appeared again. There was a really long piece floating out front, almost the length of my tank. It really looked like it was coming from the rear end of my new feather duster. Is this possible? I have only had the feather duster for less then a week. I bought it, a galaxy coral and a yellow cucumber the same day. All this web seems to have started since then. I can rule out the cucumber. I am pretty sure there were no hitchhikers on my galaxy but I am not sure about the feather duster.

They hitch-hike on just about anything. When they're tiny they're just about impossible to notice, once they grow however... You may have had a small one on the rocks all along & just not noticed it until it cast that obnoxious net.

A simple test to find out: turn off your skimmer & feed the tank a filter feeder food. Cyclopse-eze, spray dried phyto, etc. If you see the slime net, it's a good bet it's a worm.

If not, well then it's a bit more of a mystery...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.