Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Rock

Live Rock

Where do you guys in the Ottawa Area get your live rock? I'm going to need 75-80lbs of rock and that could get expensive for shipping...

Couple of options....
    1) Marinescape on Carling Avenue
    2) Aquaria.ca - send IJO a message to arrange local pickup

Welcome to Aquaria.ca by the way.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Thanks. I'm going to be starting my first saltwater aquarium shortly and there are still a few lose ends I need to figure out. Live rock was a big problem but nice to see I have local resources for that.

luker, i have about 30 pounds and its just sitting in my small tank just hanging out its got a couple aptasia on it but nothin joes juice couldnt fix and its all from marinescape

ijo
    Aquarium Services(Innes Review / Kanata Review), Marinescape(Review) and Aquaria Canada(Review / Liverock) should be able to help you... pricing is all over the place from $5 to $15 depending on where you shop(the higher price does not gurantee better quality). I have included links to our partner site with reviews of the above retailers to help you in your search.

You might also want to look at a Bills classifieds ad on this site...($2/pound). http://aquariacanada.com/Classifieds...p?product=1686

Welcome to AC

IJO

Thanks for the links. I'm looking at them now. I looked at the one for classifieds looks good. The only problem is that right now I'm not ready for liverock because I have no tank yet. In case like this, because it's such a good deal, would you just buy it and let it dry out, or would you buy it and put it in a tub with water or just pass on it ?

Thanks.

if you let it dry out it wouldn't be much a live rock now would it

put it in a tub or garbage bin with saltwater running, all u need is a powerhead to keep the water flow up

ijo
    If you can afford 3 rubbermaid containers... a box of salt(200 gal),3 heaters, 3 powerheads, and the rock... I would grab it now. You'll have to take a drive to Monteal though.

IJO

I'm ready when you are.

The only reason it is so cheap is because I need it to go away. Regrettably, a tank will not the focus of my life for next few years.

Holding liverock in rubbermaid container for months in the dark is known as "cooking". It is all the rage for the hardcore SPS crowd. It kills off the nuisance organisms and lets the rock drop lots of detritus that would otherwise go in the sand bed.

Bill

ok, so I'm going to pick this rock up in a couple of weeks. Now, I guess the best thing to do would be to get some containers, power heads and heaters. Now when I pick up the rock, I would have the containers already good to go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast