Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Closed loop pump?

Since I'm asking questions and you guys are pretty quick to answer... What do you recomend for a closed loop pump? My return pump will be a mag 5 and I will follow the diagram for the sump that is posted on this site.

We'll need a little more information.

How big a tank?

Will the closed loop be the main circulation or will you have more?
    (a mag 5 with 4' of head (water surface to water surface) won't be a lot of flow but is fine for a return pump from the sump)

What are you or are you planning to keep?
    (SPS will require quite a bit of flow, sea horses will require very little)

I like the flow, noise and low power consumption from the Quiet One pumps. Mag pumps are available nearly everywhere, fairly tough, and run from 250 GPH to 3600 GPH. There are some better quality pumps available (typically for more money) that are high flow, efficient and / or quiet.

With a closed loop you will lose very little of the pump's maximum flow rate. You will lose 10-30% of the flow if you use a SQWD brand water switcher, or closer to 0% if you use an Ocean Motions device.

Are you planning to run the closed loop through bulkheads (drilled tank) or over the top?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Well the closed loop will be the main source of flow. I'll have the return pump to help out but from what I was told, I'm better to use a lower flow pump for the return and a high one for the closed loop. As to what I'm going to keep, I'm not sure. I do know I want some coral and definatly going to try an enemone. Both the overflow and closed loop will be going through bulkheads.

I forgot to add that the tank is a 75g

Then I would plan for more but use a little less for now. Softies don't need huge amounts of flow.

OneSaltyDog used Jacuzzi bulkheads on his tank. They have adjustable nozzles so you can tweak the flow after you get setup. Sometimes you need to adjust things as coral grows and as you add coral. Jacuzzi bulkheads give you some adjustment while remaining low profile. The next alternate is to use LocLine. You can get a variety of ends and it comes in various sizes. This is a little more obvious in your tank but gives you greater flexibility.

I'd lean toward a SQWD and a Mag 700 or 950. As long as you run mostly 1" plumbing, you can upgrade to a larger Mag or Whatever pump later. You can also upgrade from the $50 SQWD to a $200+ Oceans Motions 2,4 or 8 way.

I run a 75 with a Quiet One 3000 as my return pump. This should be giving me about 400 GPH. For the closed loop I have two 1" intake bulkheads low in the back of my tank and I return over the top. I use a Mag 7, a SQWD and two 90 degree Oceans Motions Revolutions one in each front corner. This gives me good coverage of the tank but perhaps a little too much for softies. I have mostly softies now, but, I hope to transition to more SPS and will likely have to upgrade the Mag 7 to something bigger.

Remember when designing your closed loop that you WILL have to remove the pump for cleaning every few months (or at least when it jams up). You should add some shutoff valves and disconnects to minimize the pain and not have to drain your tank.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

While I'm on the subject...

I was checking prices for tanks and I can get the 75g for 120cnd, or the reef ready 75g for 300. That's a little bit of a jump but at that price would be worth it? I'll need another 2 or 3 holes for the closed loop. What do you think?

Give Big Al's in Montreal a call for tank prices. They are alot cheaper then the stores in this area.

Centre D'Aquarium Big Al's
    2315G AUTOROUTE TRANSCANADIENNE, POINTE-CLAIRE, QC H9R 5Z5, Canada
    (514) 428-0099

Ask for either Gwen(cool saltwater chick) or Brent(store manager)

I bought my tank there and saved $$$. I think they also drill tanks.

And no I dont own stock in the Montreal BA Store

yeah that's where I called to get that price. I didn't ask for anyone or a deal. That's just the price they gave me.

They might have included the durso pipe in the price and that can add 80-100$ maybe you could call again and find out exactly what was included.

yeah he said there was some plumbing included. I wonder if it would be worth it. I do have 5 holes to get drilled in the tank. So maybe I should take the the undrilled tank and get that stuff done. I could try and do it myself but I don't want to crack the tank either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast