Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is this???

what is this???

just wondering what this stuff growing on my substrate is and what I can do to get rid of it??? I am currently not running any carbon but I have a saline solutions skimmer, and I have a HOT magnum filter(for now)...my actinics lights are on from 10 to 10 and the white lights come on between 12 and 6, and moon lights at night...should I reduce the lighting period or leave it the way it is...as for a cleanup crew I have 25 astrea, 6 blue leg hermits, and 2 emerald crabs...I have two false perculas, one yellow tail damsel and one lawnmower blenny...any advice is greatly apreciated...

haha your too quick for me Nelson....

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...00/ppuser/2530

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...00/ppuser/2530

there you go this should work

If it was your intention to include a picture, it didn't make the trip from Cornwall :wink5:

Actually, I think Claude posted in the photo post because the pictures were at the top of my screen...

It is hard for me to tell from the picture but it looks like a diatom bloom. Is your tank new?

the tank is about 2.0 months old....the fish were added last week after being quarantined...( one clownfish was in earlier though so that he wouldn't kill off the other clown)

oh yes and all my water tests seem to be normal( nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph)

Is it brown dusty like stuff? If so, I would guess it is a diatom bloom. My tank did the same think for a couple of weeks and then it all just went away. Apparently a normal phase but I will leave it to the experts to comment.

Welcome to my worst nightmare!
    I've had serious diatom problems for awhile, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it. Your problem may just be a phase for the new tank, because I had the same thing happen after my tank cycled. Give it more time and see if it gets any better, but if not, there are some things you can try.
    Most people say increased skimming does the trick, because it removes elements in the water that diatoms love. I just bought a new remora skimmer in hopes that it would suck out all the crap that the diatoms live on. Your lights may be on a little too much. The lights probably arent the source of the problem, but a twelve-hour light period is plenty of time for diatoms to grow back. Also overfeeding and poor water circulation makes a great place for diatoms to bloom. You could also check your phosphate and silicate levels. High phosphates/silicates causes all sorts of trouble. Are you using RO water? If not, you probably should.
    I'm sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but I'm not sure anybody can. Some things work for some people and not others. It just depends on your tank conditions and what is causing the problem. Even the best clean-up crew would have trouble keeping up with a diatom bloom. It just grows back too quickly! Anyway, good luck

thanks for the replies...so far it is still there but it seems to be getting a little bit better...I do have a skimmer and it seems to be working pretty good...I usually have to clean the collection cup every third or fourth day...I'm not using RO water yet but my water tests all seem to be perfect...anyways we'll wait and see what happens and if it doesn't clean itself up I might have to fork over a few bucks and try the Ro system

more hermits...

go 1 per gallon.

They'll mow that stuff down in days.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

You should cut down the lighting to maybe 6 hours/day for about a month or so, perform large water changes, get a conch and add flow. Do not put add 1 hermit per gallon as they will soon die from starvation. Keep in mind that your tank is really young and it will leave with time. There is no reason to leave your lights on for 12 hours for the moment.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

unless that is a 10 gallon tank 6 hermits isn't enough.
    Do not worry about hermits starving to death, that will not happen.

More Flow: yes
    Water changes: don't go overboard
    conch: up to you but do you really think one is going to make a difference
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast