Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some newbie questions...

Hey all,

First off love the site. I really like local sites over international ones. It gives me that close to home feeling! =8]

Any way, I have had my tank for about two weeks now (65g) Everything seems in order and this weekend I introduced a cleaning crew. I have about 75lbs of live rock. How many or big of a cleaning crew do I need? I have very healthy alge growth on rocks and sand bed. I am trying to be patient, but the alge groth is not doing the same.

As well, what are my options for a cleanig crew? I have about 7 blue legged hermits and about 7 snails.

What is the next "sign" that I should watch for?

Thanks
    Shark Bait

You will know it is time to buy more stuff for your tank when you have a positive bank balance. ;-)

Give a week or so, and if the current cleanup crew is still falling behind, double it again.

75lbs of rock in a 65 gallon tank, you should probably ramp up to 1 invert per gallon (the general rule of thumb), but, your tank should indicate whether you need more or less. If you tried to add 65 snails and crabs now, you would probably get a spotless tank, followed by some die off.

As you add fish and coral and the tank continues to age, you might find you have certain areas that need more cleaning, so, you can increase those cleaners.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks.
    Yeah it has taken me a while to save the dough to get my tank running. It was good practice on being patient! =8]

Now when you say "areas" do you mean glass, sand, and rocks? Are certain inverts better for certain areas? I notice none of my cleaners stay on the sand. Most of the snails are on the walls and the crabs are on the rocks.

Banned
    To be honest you might want to take those crabs in for a store credit. They're not a bad thing to have but be forewarned, they can and often do kill snails just to try the shell on. Also, one snail will do about 10x the work of one hermit crab.

Concur with Deleted. The only hermit crabs I trust are the scarlet red legs. Other may or may not cause trouble in the future.

IMO get a bunch of cheapo turbo snails, they've done a great job for the past three years in my 75 gal.

Have fun and take it slow
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

although you may find the odd rogue blue leg, I wouldn't go tossing them all just yet.

Of 100 blue legs I've seen 2 go bad. One ended up being a black one thrown into the bag and the other was huge.

Snails will not do the work of hermits, they are great on the glass but the hermits are better on the rock and sediment IMO.

My advice is 25 more hermits at your next purchase Marinescape sells them on friday for 1.25 each out of the bag I think, call ahead to make sure they set a bag aside for you. Ivan might have a similar deal going.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

Thanks everyone for the info.

One thing, I herd the red legged crabs get big and reckless with corals. My blue guys are tiny little guys. 3 can fit into one of my snails. As well I prefer them over the snails, as all I see of the snails is their back sides on the glass. But I think they do work harder as you all mentioned.

It's nice to know the effects upfront so I can watch out for them. The tank is settling well with the rest of my family so everyone is watching out for new things. They have helped me identify a lot of new life on my live rock.

Thanks again everyone.
    Shark Bait

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait
    Thanks everyone for the info.

One thing, I herd the red legged crabs get big and reckless with corals.
    Shark Bait
    That's why I suggested Scarlet Red Legs. Totally different creature than normal red leg hermit crabs.

Glad your family involve in the hobby. It makes new purchases way easier!
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by gophia
    That's why I suggested Scarlet Red Legs. Totally different creature than normal red leg hermit crabs.

Glad your family involve in the hobby. It makes new purchases way easier!
    can't agree more with you there...when I first started she wasn't too sure about it...(spending all that money on fish and accesories) but now that I have some creatures and life in the tank, she loves it just as much as me, now she can't wait til my next purchase....

p.s sorry about hijacking this thread

Claude

the red(scarlet) legged ones are 'calmer' than the blue legged ones. The blue legged ones can get agressive when they get big and I've seen them canibalize each other. That said, out of a purchase of 100 blue legged ones I have noticed the largest have turned black in their old age. I'm not sure if those couple are a different type all together (and please don't offer me any direction on that unless its scientific, I have enough smoke blown up my butt on a regular basis that I don't need it here). Those black guys tend to end up in my sump, they are very agressive.

Both blue and red will bother coral as they stroll around the tank and over the coral. Nothing that wouldn't happen in nature I assume. I have yet to see a hermit sit around munching on a coral in my tank though, unless it was after a bit of food that ended up there.

Load up on blues, get 5 reds just for a mix, and top yourself up on snails also.
    After that, if you are thinking of having clown fish you might pick one up, maybe 2, and find a nice polyp rock, I believe Ivan has a good selection of small colonies at a reasonable price. They'll add a bit of color in there.

What is your long term plan for the tank Sharkbait? Fish only, softies, SPS?
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast