Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammonia Problem

Ammonia Problem

Tank been running for about 6 months .. 40 gallon 60 LBS LR 40 LS .. The problem is I can get my ammonia to read 0 .. The problem is Ive been using tap water and havent been using anything to kill the cholrine or whatnot . Have hooked up my RO/DI system and need to know how to convert the water .. Should i just start the process over Or do 20% change 50 % of h20.To try to save some of the baterica thats in the system if any is left.. Thanks for the help

Start with regular water changes using salt water made with the RO/DI. If you replace all the water in your tank at the same time (or too quickly), that will not be good.
    Also, daily top-ups, which is done with fresh water, should come from water produced by the RO/DI unit.

I wouldn't worry about the clorine in the tank...clorine evaporates in about 24 hrs. Cloramine is a different story....I've been told it can take a week or so for cloramine to evap out of the water.

Welcome to Aquaria.ca by the way!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Update Please Help

Its been a week or so , still no signs of Spike in ammonia .. 2 water changes were done with RO/DI water Ammonia still @ .05-1.0 range .. Is there a way I can speed the process up ? 1 fish (Dams) fed every other day ..

Thanks
    Tim

Water changes will definitely help, but it does take quite a while to change all of the existing water in your tank. I think there are a few chemicals you can buy that help lower ammonia, but I'm not sure what their limitations are and whether or not they are good or bad for your tank. Normally, my philosphy is the less chemicals you put in your tank, the better. Of course, there are some things that DO need to go in your tank (essential elements, etc) but putting too much artificial stuff in can't be good. I'd only start using a chemical if the ammonia will not lower w/ water changes. Patience is one of the biggest parts of owning a marine aquarium. Good luck

I forgot to ask whether or not you've tested your RO water for chlorine/chloramines? You don't want to be putting those elements in your tank.

what kinda things are in it? theres a chance u may be over stocking it?

1 Blue Dams and about 40 ILYANASSA OBSOLETA Snails ..

how would i check for chlorine/chloramines

Quote Originally Posted by TimDive
    how would i check for chlorine/chloramines
    You would need a test kit for Chloramine and Chlorine. Some only do Chlorine.

If you are in Ottawa, Chloramine is used. If you run Chloramine though Carbon, it strips off the Chlorine and leaves Ammonia. Even an RO/DI unit doesn't properly remove it all.

Ammonia is highly reactive (one of the problems with having it in a tank with living creatures). It will react itself out of solution. If you don't add anything to the tank and the Ammonia doesn't go down, you likely have a supply. It could be things dying in the tank. It could be in your source water. It could be overfeeding.

If you do 3-5 20% water changes in a week, you should see the level drop, maybe not to zero, but, it should drop. If it doesn't the problem is your supply or your test kit.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The ammonia is about .05 its between the first and second on the card.. Its not bright yellow nor the Lightest green it seems inbetween .. So what would the water changes do bring it down to 0 .. How much baterica will I loose doing that many water changes..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast