searching advise

hey all

i am still young in the hobby of reef keeping. i have kept marine for 3 yrs but have oly had success in the last year with my fourth set up of my tank. the tank sizes are 1m X .5m X.5 i run a deep sand bed come refugium and as a by pass a 100l drum for water volume. the tank has been running just short of year now and hope i can pick the masters bains about adding more water volume to my tank it curruntly is a 350l system which i wish to upgrade to 500l and looking for advise to do so.

shotto

yaaaaay metric...

:welcome: to the forums, would you be so kinda as to be more specific on what kinda advice you need?

[welcome]
    If you just want more total volume in the system, adding a large sump or a refugium would be one way. They'd need to be linked to an over-flow from the display tank. If you want more volume in the display tank, the only way would be to buy a new and larger tank. I guess you could add a second display tank and plumb it into the system.

However, I'm not sure that these comments will be too helpful. Like Ricepicker asked, some more details about your current system set-up, and the type of expansion you want, would be helpful.
    Nick

hey

sorry my tank capacity is 200l and what i am wanting to do is add water volume to my whole system. from my over flow i have two pipes one leading to my dsb and one to a 100l drum.

corals

1X bubble coral
    1X huge finger leather
    1X yellow cup coral
    1X open brain
    1X gonopora
    3X different types of acopora
    1X anchore coral
    1X moon coral
    3X big rocks of different mushrooms on each
    various star polops
    and of coarse zooanthids

fish

2X flame gobies
    1X mandrin

shrimp

2X cleaners
    1X orchid

now i still have room for lots more coral getting two hammer heads next week and more in the months to come. now my concern is that i'm going to over load my system so i have some room under the tank and could posibly add another 200l to my system as a whole. thats what i am asking should i just use another empty drum or should i try another filtrtion method with it ???

any views or comments will be appreciated

shotto
    the big boy

sorry just for some extra info i have 25kg live rock in the display tank. my water turn over is about 4500l an hour and flow in the tank is 2000l an hour. i am running two sets of t5's 2X blue and 2X white. my dsb is also its own right a refugium. i have a decent skimmer, also running uv steriliser as a bypass in the sump. i dose with balance blocks once a month. and do water changes every week. i use ro water and salt mix, but lately i've been getting water from +- 25km out to sea, been doing wonders and keeping my water nice and clean. i hope this helps you to help me

big ups

if you have enough room, adding another tank as a sump underneath is the easist, however, if you wanna save money, you can buy a tough from farm equipment stores

Quote Originally Posted by phat
    sorry just for some extra info i have 25kg live rock in the display tank. my water turn over is about 4500l an hour and flow in the tank is 2000l an hour. i am running two sets of t5's 2X blue and 2X white. my dsb is also its own right a refugium. i have a decent skimmer, also running uv steriliser as a bypass in the sump. i dose with balance blocks once a month. and do water changes every week. i use ro water and salt mix, but lately i've been getting water from +- 25km out to sea, been doing wonders and keeping my water nice and clean. i hope this helps you to help me

big ups
    How is your deep sandbed a refugium? Do you mean it has an anaerobic plenum under it? To increase you water volume you could add a regugium seperate from you tank, if you have the room add it above your tank and let it overflow back to your display tank....your fish will love the limitless suply of critters that will come out of the overflow drain.

hey rice picker

cash isn't an issue man i believe this is an elite hobby and sparing cash could lead to diaster if things arent done properly, but what would you suggest i put in the tank???

hey gator

my dsb is about 12cm thick i call it a dsb come refugium cause i have calupra and odds of live rock in one section of it on top of the sand its about 90cm long and 35cm wide i like your idea of putting a box aove the tank but along with it i still want to add more water volume as i couldn't fit anything to big above my tank.

shot for your input keep it rolling in pls

slim

oh well what i mean is that if all you need is a sump, it doesn't have to look pretty

if you decide to use a sump, you'll need to set it up with compartments for ur gear.

baffles (3x) to reduce micro bubbles would be nice, think about upgrading the skimmer to an in-sump skimmer that will handle 2-3x your tank size, that'll help increase ur bioload