Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 102
  1. #1
    Senior Member colesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,023

    colesy's 75G tank journal

    Tank Specs:

    75G Perfecto Tank w/ Overflow
    33G Sump/Fuge
    Coralife Super Skimmer 65 (Will have to upgrade in the future)
    2 x SEIO 1500
    110GPD RO/DI Unit
    50 lbs Fiji Live Rock (Picking up next weekend from Ivan)
    Mag 9.5 Return Pump (Still need to buy)

    I am very back and fourth on lighting still. Either 2x250W 10000K MH + 2 VHO Super Actinic, or 4 T5. Obviously I like the price of the T5s, but I want to do it right the first time, so I will have to make a decision very soon. Maybe my trip up to Ivans will help a bit. I should able to check out my options on display.

    I am thinking of mainly FOWLR, and some easier to keep corals at first, and good sized clean up crew.

  2. #2
    Senior Member colesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Pictures Below

    Basically I thought I would create this thread to start posting updates, and pics of my progress. Up until this point it has been really slow. Infact I have had my tank and powerheads for a couple months now, and only just did a leak test lastnight, along with testing out the powerheads.

    Anyway, overall the tests were a success. I did run into a few snags though. First of all, I originally planned on using an old 55G as my sump, but it won't fit under my stand. I had originally planned it out so there would be enough room for it, but I ended up moving the legs in 1/2" from the top base, so the wood finish would sit flush with the top base. I am now short 1" and it won't fit. Not a big deal though as I still have an old 33G that fits under the stand nicely, and should work fine.

    The second snag I ran into is the hole for my return is a bit too close to the top of the stand, and I might have to grind a bit out of the top of the stand so I can attach the return plumbing. Again, this shouldn't be a bit deal.

    Lastly, I noticed what I am hoping turns out to be a small scratch on the bottem pane of glass on the tank... I am hoping its a scratch, and not a crack... It appears to only be on the inside of the tank, and not on the outside. Check out the pic below and let me know what you think.


    Here are a few other pics I took.

    Tank & Stand


    Like I mentioned above, I plan on finishing the stand off with some wood.



    Overflow



    Stand

    I was thinking of putting some sort of foam tape along the top base. I have seen others do something similar. Is this recommended?

  3. #3
    Moderator mike536's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,782
    I got one thing. The Mag 9.5 is too strong for a 75 gallon. I had one for mine and I ended up having to buy mag 7. I ended up using the 9.5 got my skimmer so I was lucky. I wouldn't want to see someone spend all that money and turn around having to spend another pile. Hope this helps.

    And the foam thing, I did it with my tank with no problems. When you think about it, it could only beneifet the tank.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

  4. #4
    Senior Member colesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    I got one thing. The Mag 9.5 is too strong for a 75 gallon. I had one for mine and I ended up having to buy mag 7. I ended up using the 9.5 got my skimmer so I was lucky. I wouldn't want to see someone spend all that money and turn around having to spend another pile. Hope this helps.

    And the foam thing, I did it with my tank with no problems. When you think about it, it could only beneifet the tank.

    Ok thanks for the info... I was going to pick up a used mag9.5 on another forums for a good price, but will pass now... The one question I have though is with the mag9.5 at 4 feet of head, it is like 700GPH or something. If that is too much for a 75G, what about my 2 SEIO 1500s? Those are 1500GPH each right?

  5. #5
    Moderator mike536's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,782
    The problem I had with the 9.5 was my drain couldn't handle it. It would fill up the tank faster then the drain would let it back into the sump. you don't really need alot of flow going through your sump. Something like 10 times per hour is max. I think. The two seios will be plenty of water movement for a 75. You might even be able to get away with one. I got a 902 hooked in my tank for a closed loop and I still get a bit of a sand storm. Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nobez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    483
    I am actually very excited to see how this all goes as I will be seeing it first hand all the way through.

    First off the tank looks amazing, it is too bad about the scratch, I will have to see it when I am in next.

    The stand is awesome, you and your dad have done a great job on it.

    You have put a lot of thought into this so I am sure that it is going to go well (minus a few snags here and there) and will look great.

    As for lights, you have seen how 4 T5's look on my tank and I think they look and work great. I know they are not MH, but they were a lot cheeper and easier on the hydro bill.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ricepicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,703
    just spilt the return back to ur sump for a second loop around, i don't see a big deal, control it by using a gate valve or ball valve or something u should be fine. get the 9.5, cause i know u'll want to upgrade eventually...

    oh yea, that scratch... just in case, don't put ur heavy gear there.
    i mean, easiest way to cut glass is by scoring it... so that might not be a good place to add stress

  8. #8
    Senior Member colesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    just spilt the return back to ur sump for a second loop around, i don't see a big deal, control it by using a gate valve or ball valve or something u should be fine. get the 9.5, cause i know u'll want to upgrade eventually...

    oh yea, that scratch... just in case, don't put ur heavy gear there.
    i mean, easiest way to cut glass is by scoring it... so that might not be a good place to add stress

    Thanks guys.. Good idea with the spliting Will.. I was going to do that anyway!! The good news with the scratch/crack is that its in the overflow area, so there won't be any weight, other then water in that area..

    I was wondering what everyone thought though.. My tank should still be under warrenty. I got it from Big Als Montreal, and it's less then a year old. Should I look into getting a replacement? I would hate to have to drive back there, but will if you think I should.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nobez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    483
    Road Trip!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    Quote Originally Posted by colesy
    Thanks guys.. Good idea with the spliting Will.. I was going to do that anyway!! The good news with the scratch/crack is that its in the overflow area, so there won't be any weight, other then water in that area..

    I was wondering what everyone thought though.. My tank should still be under warrenty. I got it from Big Als Montreal, and it's less then a year old. Should I look into getting a replacement? I would hate to have to drive back there, but will if you think I should.
    If you take it back id call and make sure they will,
    it is on the inside which is good because you haven't actually USED it. id also check and see if you drilling it voids the warranty.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

    Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fish's 125 Journal
    By fish in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:24 AM
  2. My 1st tank journal - 60 gal cube project.
    By Neptune in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 10:14 PM
  3. Pros & Cons Large Tank vs. Small Tank
    By Sophic in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 08:00 PM
  4. Freshwater to Saltwater (my Journal)
    By joeyt66 in forum Just Getting Started
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •