Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

My 1st tank journal - 60 gal cube project.

Hi everyone.

Well, I decided to take the plunge (pardon the pun) and get myself into this world you all love.

I'll start by saying I was never a big fan of fish :errr: and have always had dogs, cats, birds, chicks, ducks (yes don't ask, the perils of being raised in a Greek family. You don't go to the farm. The farm comes to YOU.)

How this all started:

So my mom decided to get herself 2 goldfish a few weeks ago and had them setup in a small fishbowl. Well the water got dirty every 1-2 days and it just wasn't a healthy setup. Pretty ugly too and the lil guys weren't too happy I'm sure. She went away for a week and gave me her fish to fish-sit. Well, I bought a 10gal tank from Vince (tang_man_montreal) and then setup the tank with a nice filter, fake plants, a castle and some rocks as a bed. Needless to say the little guys are quite alot happier and the water is crystal clear. I liked how it looked and considered keeping the setup, and making up some story about how aliens invaded my building and stole the fish for some indescribable testing. Instead, as believable and probable as that alien abduction possibility was, I decided I wanted my own.

I went to the local pet store (read: Nature Pet Center) and spoke to a really cool guy there who seemed to know his stuff. I priced out a 20 and 30gal tank setup which was around 900-1200 with all the bells and whistles. It was at that point that I started to formulate the details of the alien story.

I then made the mistake of telling Vince that I liked the tank I had and may consider going saltwater since I find it alot more interesting than freshwater (no offence to all you anti-salt folk), but it was alot of money and I wasn't too sure. Plus the space in my apartment is limited, so I'd have to place the tank on my dresser which I wasn't sure I wanted to do (with a larger 20 or 30 gal.)

Well, the next day he found me a deal on a 60 gal (24x24x24) tank and started sizing out my apartment for where we could place it. As I took a second blink after saying I was thinking of getting a tank, it was starting to look like a definite possibility. With a little feng shui remodelling, I may have found a nice corner for it. I need to move some furniture around and create my bedroom/office and living room setup so as to make room for the tank.

I'll post up some pictures and I hope this journal will be interesting to you guys: if anything it makes good laptop/bathroom reading after you've gone through your copy of Star like 15 times. Angelina vs Jen gets old after 12 times or so.

Thanks for reading and keep coming back for more silliness and potential tank sexiness.

D

Welcome to the hobby!
    cant wait to see how it looks PIX PLZ!

Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Well, definitely ...

And as we say around here, "Any friend of Vince's is in serious trouble."

Or, I mean, "Reefers love to spend other reefer's money."

Maybe I should just leave it at "Good luck."
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hehehehehehehe... I see Vince strikes again :hysterica

Welcome to the hobby! and we'll be seing you around soon enough
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It's all my fault... I admit it.... I'm to blame... I've converted yet another....

As D already stated, I stumbled upon a GREAT deal...

This tank was originally built by CNC Marine (ie: Chris and Carol) only three weeks ago for another customer who originally intended to house seahorses. For reasons that we won't get into here, she decided to sell it at a great loss. In this case, her loss was my friend's gain. I instantly thought of my friend, and snatched up the tank without even speaking to him. I knew that if he didn't take it, I'd either keep it or sell it to someone else anyways.

In any case, the tank is a 60gallon acrylic 24x24x24 cube with internal overflow and eurobracing. The tank is flawless. The seams are beautifully done, and even the overflow box is done in 1/2" acrylic like the rest of the tank. All in all, it's masterfully built.

The sump is also acrylic. Done in 3/8" acrylic throughout... Even the baffles are 3/8". The seams are just as beautiful. It's almost a shame to use this sump as a sump and not actually display it.

As mentioned before, this tank was originally intended to house seahorses. As such, water runners were integrated into the top of the tank for a Kreisel-style system. Seeing how my friend here will be housing a soft/lps reef, those water runners will be removed in favor of some more flow. Probably some 1/2" flexhose with flared outputs.

I'm a big fan of SCWD wavemakers, so both those outlets will be connected to from a SCWD. I'm thinking a Mag12 will provide ample circulation and sump return. It can be turned down anyhow with a valve if need be.

Today we also stumbled upon the intended skimmer for this setup. A Pacific-Coast 350 skimmer. This is pratically identical to the Coralife Superskimmer 3004.

I'll be building him a stand similar to the one I had built for my cube several months ago. We'll probably start on the stand sometime this week-end. I'm intending to make the stand 30-32" tall in order to provide ample room for the skimmer/sump/equipment that will be placed within.

Lighting will consist of a 24" Coralife Lunar Aqualight with Moonlight - Deluxe series.
    A total of 130w of PC light (1x 10k 65w, 1x Actinic 65w) with an additional 2x 3/4w 460nm LED moonlights.

So that's where we stand right now... I'll be helping him document this thread as this is his first foray into saltwater... And at the same time, it will inspire me to think about my next system.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ToX
    Man, I was just looking today at that post and I wanted to buy it, it was really cheap too bad you beat me to it

Ermmmm could we just mention that we did not do what was done to the overflow teeth nor the oval/squarish hole in the sump please? lol

Love the lighting idea! wonder where you got that one..... :biglaugh2

With Vince helping you you're in great hands!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Carol...

LOL... yes.... true... When I saw that same light on your cube, I agreed that it was the perfect light for this cube.

...and yes, I forgot to mention that the overflow weirs were mangled by the original owner. Yet another thing that will be modified by Chris/Carol before final installation as well as some modifications to the sump that will allow for the larger skimmer and higher flowthrough rate.

Gee, it's so convenient having such capable hands around the corner from me...

Talking

Hi all.

Thanks for all the welcoming welcomes. Knowing myself and Vince, this will go from a small project to some full-blown extravaganza.

Progress so far:

Tank - purchased! Sorry Tox impdaddy
    Skimmer - A Pacific-Coast 350 skimmer - found for a killer price for sale on a forum. Picking it up tonight probably!

Next step:

Tonight: Furniture moving
    This weekend: Base building :biggrinbo
    "Hopefully" this weekend (wink wink) :smile4: Mods to the aquarium by Chris hehe

Stay tuned....
    Working out the details on how to steal Toby... :devil2:

Hello my little bacterial friend... (I always wanted to call you that.... )

As your number of posts increase, your name will change... I think after 10 you'll be a copepod.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast