can you mix substrates?

Hi all, I have just recently moved and have just purchased a 54 gallon corner tank.
    This is the one >>http://www.all-glass.com/products/aq...s/corner.shtml

I am planning on getting the following substrates 1 bag each...

-Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Substrate - 20 lbs. (29.95 each)
    -Caribsea Seafloor Special Grade Sand / Substrate - 15 lbs. (16.95 each)
    I want to have sand but some bigger pieces around as well.

-Will this combination be ok for a sea hare that I plan to get in the future? (tummy safe for crawlies?)
    -is it ok to mix these 2 substrates or I should just stick with one?

and will the amount of substrate be enough to cover my tank?
    I have finally got a Aquasafe Maximus (easy enough to install!!)

You can mix any substrates that you wish to. Are the two you listed of a similar grain size? I only ask as I mixed fine with some coarse and then realized I didn't like the look. My new tank will have only one.

As for enought to cover your tank is subjective. 1 bag would cover the tank but a thin layer. It will depend on how deep a sand bed you want. a 1" sand bed is nice for critters and will use some sand while a 6" DSB has advantages as well and will use a lot more sand. Do a search on these two types and then make a choice as both have advantages/disadvantages and the discussions have fille many threads.

Yes, you can mix substrates if you wish...but you won't have the "mixed" look for long. Eventually the larger pieces will migrate to the top, and the sand will end up on the bottom.

Also, I personally wouldn't bother with the "Arag-Alive" stuff. Any sand you add will become live on its own...save some money and put it towards one of the MANY other things you'll be needing. $15 here and there may not seem like much, but believe me, it adds up!! :errr:
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Thanks for the advise...I think I will just stick with the finer stuff then...
    with my tank above...how much sand do you think I need to get approx 1" to 1.5" orf substrates?

It's hard to say. I've never set up a corner tank before and only know how to calculate the depth for a rectangular/square tank.

Last time I set up some tanks, I only needed one bag to do a 15g tall, and a 30g...both ended up with about an inch of substrate.

Start with one bag and see what that gets you.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE