Thread: Dying Snails?

Dying Snails?

Hello
    Recently, I've been losing my turbo snails one by one and I can't figure out why! They just curl up and start deteriorating without warning. There is plenty of algae for them, and my tank parameters are normal (except for a small amount of Nitrates) A few of my nitrate-reducing clams also suddenly died off as well. The tank parameters haven't changed, but the snails and clams just started dying all of the sudden!
    The only thing that has changed recently about my tank is that I've been using Phosbuster (which works very well by the way.) I was told that Phosbuster wouldn't harm any tank inhabitants. Could this be the problem?

there is a chance that the inverts are running out of food, especially lets say phosphate and nitrates were their food... i dunno... could be temperature as well

Smile

yes what is the temp?? also, what type of ''turbos'' some turbos do not do well in warm reef tanks. I believe the MEXICAN turbos don't last.how long did you aclimate them before putting them into the tank??

They are large turbo grazer snails (that's really all i know). Temp is 78. Is that too hot/cold? It's not a reef tank, it's a FOWLR and the snails were in the tank for quite some time before they started dying off. I couldn't imagine that acclimation had anything to do with it.

Smile

how did you acclimate them?? it has a lot to do with it.
    your temp is fine.I drip acclimate snails for 3 hours.

I bought them over a month ago. Why would acclimation matter a month later? Anyway, I acclimated mine for about an hour (that's what the guy at the store said to do.) How do you "drip" acclimate? Do I need special supplies?

snails/inverts are very very sensitive to salinity changes in my experience/research.
    fish an hour and inverts 3. you can buy one of those KENTS dosers containers or I'm sure someone here has a DIY. you can also just add a little water at time time to the bag but take it real slow. its also good to check the salinity of the store water first and if its real close then theres less to worry about. some stores have been known to have it real low.snails can die 4 weeks later from improper acclimation.
    it could also be something else in your tank

Do you have any other types of snails that are ok? I had the same problem a while ago but it was my trocs; the turbos and astreas were fine. It turned out to be stray electricity from a maxi so I swapped it for one in my sump and threw out the bad one. Solved the problem for me.

I was warned that the likely culprits are heaters and pumps. Usually the first to go are the snails then the crabs and shrimp then the fish.

If it is not that look into heavy metals; how is the water you use for top ups and water changes? have you had a water change lately? do you run carbon?

Jer :confused-
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.