Question How many holes in a tank is too many?

Hey guys, I'm going to be drilling 7 holes in the back of my tank. Does anyone see a problem drilling that many? The tank is a 90g 48x18x24. I want 2 holes for the overflow, 1 for the return, 1 to go to the pump of my closed loop and 3 for the return of the closed loop. I just want to make sure the holes won't weeken the tank.

Thanks
    Luc

Assuming you use schedule 40 or 80 bulkheads in each hole and leave at least the size of the hole between the holes and the edge of the pane of glass, you should be fine.

Try to make sure that the weight of the plumbing and pumps, etc. are not on the bulkheads. Weight on the bulkheads can cause torque on the bulkheads and either cause them to leak or stress the pane.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Does anyone see a problem with the return from my pump being below the water level?

The reson is my overflow box will be coast to coast so I won't have room for it above the water level. Would you put it maybe on the side of the tank, simply over top of the tank or just put it under the overflow box?

If I drill it under the overflow box, what would hapen if I lose power? It would back up to my sump until it gets to that level right?

Exactly as you said...if your pump fails or if the power goes out, water will flow down into the sump until the syphon breaks. If you go this route, make sure that your sump can handle the extra water volume or you end up with a flood. Other option is to install your return over the top of the tank and drill a small hole (1") in the return pipe (near the water level) to break the syphon if the power goes out.

yeah that would be a mess. Humm, what about drilling under the overflow but plumbing the opening higher... In theory that should work....

Yes, that would work as well. I find that it's always a good idea to drill a hole near the output of your return, just below the water line so that a minimum amount of water is allowed to flow back into the sump.

Do I drill that hole on the underside of the return pipe?

just an idea,
    if you return is below the water line and you dont want it, you could always get an elbow piping (or maybe something that looks like the side of a flowerpot) and make it go up from the inside. thus not allowing water backflow if the pump cuts out
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. With a coast to coast overflow box, would you have 2 overflows or just 1?