Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To skim or not to skim?

That is the question.

My tank is a 20 gallon Hagen Tropiquarium 68 (http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/ha...arium-o-14.html) that has a very tight fitting hood and prewired heater and internal filter (only 1 power cord!!). The filter is really a powerhead and filter box, so after removing the filter box, voila, one power head. However, the included powerhead was replaced with an Aquaclear Powerhead #201 for more flow and I also wired in a Zoo Med Power Sweep 214 Powerhead. The lightings is 2 x 15W NO fluorescent (one being Actinic). Another neat feature is a built in timer for the lights. Overall a very good (small) tank, IMHO and i do not want to remove/replace the hood at this time.

There is a spot in the back for an automatic feeder that I think I can put a Fission Nano-Skimmer into so that I can still close the lid (http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...n_skimmer.htm).

Now, it is a very small skimmer for the tank, but is some skimming better than no skimming? What are the benefits to skimming? What are the drawbacks to not skimming?

I have ~20 lbs of live rock and ~20 lbs of live sand. Two power heads and no mechanical filtration.

Thanks,
    Andrew

I have a similar tank like yours ( all in one) made by Tropiquaria but i moded the hood to have 2x32w 10,000k PC & 1x15w NO actinic. I don't skim and just do regular 15% water change once every two weeks. I have two small fish and keep mushrooms, leathers, lps corals....Tank is about 1 year old
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Quote Originally Posted by clown_fish
    I have a similar tank like yours ( all in one) made by Tropiquaria but i moded the hood to have 2x32w 10,000k PC & 1x15w NO actinic. I don't skim and just do regular 15% water change once every two weeks. I have two small fish and keep mushrooms, leathers, lps corals....Tank is about 1 year old
    Thanks - do you have any pictures to share? I am especially interested in how you modded your hood. I keep looking at mine and thinking about how to go about it...

Thanks,
    Andrew

Rather than adding the skimmer in that area you might consider having it drilled for a sump. In the sump you could fit a larger skimmer, your heaters etc.

But failing that, yes some skimming is better than none. In additon to removing dissovled organics, the skimmer is a source of dissolved O2 for the system. By nature of the way it works, the effluent is O2 rich & that's always a good thing in your tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'll see if i can take some pictures of the light mod for you.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Quote Originally Posted by clown_fish
    I'll see if i can take some pictures of the light mod for you.
    That would be cool - thanks!

Andrew

WOW - havent seen that tank in ages

i used to be a non-skimmer, but i noticed a word of difference since i started skimming, thoough i also noticed i have to battle with microbubbles now(i still dont know why they're bad, is it just a athestic thing?)

the fission skimmer are pretty nice, u can also just do water changes

if your looking to mod ur hood, check out nanotuners.com for some parts

There's not a lot microbubbles will hurt. There are a few, and the moon has to align with Jupiter just so for it to happen.

Otherwise, most people just feel it looks like crud to have microbubbles in your display.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    (i still dont know why they're bad, is it just a athestic thing?)
    Seahorses and micro-bubbles are VERY bad mix. Just wanted to point that out since you have one.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Yeah okay, my bad.

Microbubbles are also bad for some fry, they kill baby brine shrimp, they can irritate some coral, and if everything lines up just so it's possible to kill a sponge. But IMO, in most tanks it's an issue of aesthetic.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast