Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Banded Pipe fish questions.

I've seen these in a few reef tanks & I had some questions on them. Being somewhat impulsive, I've already asked IJO to hold one for me...

Anyway,

1. Do you QT them? Diet wise I believe they'll eat frozen mysis, but I'm a bit concerned about getting one through QT.

2. Are these guys okay in a reef? I believe the rule is if they've got a fin on their tale they're good in a reef, if not they have the same needs as a seahorse. True?

3. I've already got a copperbanded butterfly & a sixline wrasse in the tank munching on pods & live mysis. I supplement frozen mysis every second day. I also still have a flat worm issue, but the six line is helping. Is this too much competition for a pipefish?

4. Any chance he'll eat the afore mentioned flat worms? I'm still hoping for a natural cure over a chemical one.

I've got a healthy collection of mysis in my sump and I see the odd pod caracas floating by in the water, but thanks to the butterfly & the six line it's been some time since I've seen anything in the display tank. I'm sure they're there, the six line is almost never awake for the morning feedings, yet he's looking pretty plump.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I've heard they have much of the same requirement as a seahorse. low flow, low food competition, difficult to get them to eat frozen food.
    im not sure about flatworms.

I had a huge outbreak of flatworms last year and ive seen my arrow crab eat them as well as my mandarin goby.

I have not seen one in some time, and i even gave a rock a freshwater rinse to see if any would come off of it.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

easier than seahorses, but they don't eat mysis unless its really little...

I've been reading the exact opposite for banded pipefish. According to what I've read they love live mysis and tend to go for some of the larger frozen bits & may take small krill. If they're young then they need much smaller food, but the adult (apariently) can reach 8" long.

This is an interesting idea:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-feede...s-pipefish.htm

I'm just not sure how I'd set a feeding station up in my tank or keep the small six line out of it. I'm sure anywhere I could coax a pipe fish into would also allow the wrasse in.

ohh maybe, all the ones i've seen are little thats why i say that

for the feeding station thing, i've seen people DIY liverocks around a ceremic bowl and glue coral skeletons on the rock for them to hang on while they feed, a good option would be those resin bowls for lizards, i like the fact they are not white so food can be seen easiers

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    1. Do you QT them? Diet wise I believe they'll eat frozen mysis, but I'm a bit concerned about getting one through QT.
    A QT period is essential.

2. Are these guys okay in a reef?
    Unfortunately no. It's not the proper environment for them. They need a low flow, species only tank. Yes, I know that many people keep them in their reef tanks...people see them, think they look cool, and toss one into their tank. Sometimes they seem to do ok, but no one brags about the ones that die a few weeks later because they slowly starved, were picked on by other fish, were sucked onto a powerhead, etc.

if not they have the same needs as a seahorse. True?
    They have even more specialized needs than seahorses. Pipefish are considered considered a step up in difficulty from keeping seahorses.

3. I've already got a copperbanded butterfly & a sixline wrasse in the tank munching on pods & live mysis. I supplement frozen mysis every second day. I also still have a flat worm issue, but the six line is helping. Is this too much competition for a pipefish?
    Definately!!! You have 2 aggressive eaters competing for the exact same food as the pipe...even if everything else about your tank was ideal, this fact alone would be the deciding factor against getting one.

4. Any chance he'll eat the afore mentioned flat worms?
    Nope. They eat mysis...that's it.

According to what I've read they love live mysis and tend to go for some of the larger frozen bits & may take small krill.
    I've never heard of any Syngnathid species eating krill. Someone may have had one at some point, it's extremely rare that one eat anything other than mysis. Both pipes and seahorses are basically "designed" to eat mysis. Even if you can get them to eat something else, they often can't survive on it.
    If they're young then they need much smaller food, but the adult (apariently) can reach 8" long.
    Even at 8" long their mouths are very tiny...much smaller than most seahorses mouths. It makes feeding them difficult without ideal food and conditions.

The link to the feeding station is a good idea, and it does help to keep the tank tidy. The only problem with that page is that he shouldn't be combining seahorses and pipefish together...(ask on any seahorse board and they'll say the same). He has also mixed CB and WC together...that is something you NEVER do with seahorses/pipefish. On his page he mentions that he's lost several horses...that's why.

Pipefish are best kept by experienced seahorse keepers in a species tank to give them the best chance at success. Seahorses are difficult enough, and pipes are above and beyond.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGuy

Even at 8" long their mouths are very tiny...much smaller than most seahorses mouths. It makes feeding them difficult without ideal food and conditions.

The link to the feeding station is a good idea, and it does help to keep the tank tidy. The only problem with that page is that he shouldn't be combining seahorses and pipefish together...(ask on any seahorse board and they'll say the same). He has also mixed CB and WC together...that is something you NEVER do with seahorses/pipefish. On his page he mentions that he's lost several horses...that's why.

Pipefish are best kept by experienced seahorse keepers in a species tank to give them the best chance at success. Seahorses are difficult enough, and pipes are above and beyond.
    i've seen different pipefish (green ones) that eat brine (spirlina enriched) and love it

i've always thought pipefish were suppose to be easier, but i dunno what i'm tlaking about i guess... its good info to know... i'm gonna stick with my reef

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    i've seen different pipefish (green ones) that eat brine (spirlina enriched) and love it
    Some pipes will eat brine, but mysis is a much better food nutrition wise. As a general rule, any pipe that won't eat mysis is harder to keep than one that will.
    James...

Do you have some links on that I can read up on? I'm getting pretty conflicting information now. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just like to read

Cheers!

James...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast