Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Quick Plumbing question

Does everyone use pvc? Has anyone tried the flexible stuff that is now used to pipe your house instead of the coper pipe? I'm thinking about using that stuff. I know you have to rent a tool to install it but that's no big deal. Anyone think that it could cause a problem?

Hi

I used ABS pipe. As a plumber, I would recommend to use either PVC or ABS. PVC is more quiet then ABS. Flexible pipe is probably the best for sound but it cost more. Don't use any metals as this is will affect your water conditions. Cheers :biglaugh2
    125g with 40g sump

I am currently using flexible PVC (SpaFlex) as my drain line. I use PVC for my return lines.

There are people using ABS, but, I have heard some saying it is noisy (no concerns about it breaking down).

There are two types of plumbing out there replacing copper in the home, CPVC and PEX. I believe both are reef safe, but, be aware some of the joints for both are metal and these parts should be avoided. I don't know if PEX comes large enough for some parts of the reef setup and I don't know if CPVC comes over th e 3/4" mark.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by luker78
    Does everyone use pvc? Has anyone tried the flexible stuff that is now used to pipe your house instead of the coper pipe? I'm thinking about using that stuff. I know you have to rent a tool to install it but that's no big deal. Anyone think that it could cause a problem?
    I've used PEX for FW tanks when I was breeding discus...if you stick with the plastic fittings I don't see why you couldn't use it for SW. You can usually find it in diameters up to 1". Supposedly they go up to 2", but I've never seen any in the stores...it's probably a special order item.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

CPVC is available in 1" dia at HD, just not in as many varied shapes and bends as in the 3/4 or lower stuff. I'm putting it together right now for my 90 gal return. The ball valves start jumping exponentially in price though after 3/4" dia! OUCH!

PEX tubing is the best tubing to use for SW. its flexible, quick and comes in many different size and colors(outake and intake). you can even get some manifolds to split up the your returns or overflows. the reason i say PEX is better is because its composed of 4 layers of materials. in to out its made from a layer of polyethelen, a denser poly(acts at molecular level),branded mesh, and a hypalon flexible cover. all these layers meshed together prevent osmosis penetrating into the tubing or out. results in no salt creep on the tubing and oxygen pentration into the tubing which can create creep and block in the long run. little novel just to say that i'm a big believer in PEX. lol

Quote Originally Posted by laffy
    all these layers meshed together prevent osmosis penetrating into the tubing or out. results in no salt creep on the tubing and oxygen pentration into the tubing which can create creep and block in the long run.
    I have a little bit of difficulty believing that this happens with ABS/PVC. Perhaps can you point out the source of this information, if possible. I am thinking that you are referring to the joints, perhaps? Just curious.

Cheers, Shawn

pex stands for Poly Ethylene Cross Linked(hense the X). this cross link is a special piece of poly that does not come in contact with the water. it prevents oxygen from penetrating into the system. ABS and PVC and a solid plastic that will eventually allow oxygen to leach into the system. its a specially engineered tubing, thats all.

forgot to add that all this stuff happends at a MOLECULAR level!!! won't make a difference in the first couple years but it have been proven to last over a 100 years of use. also more reliable than abs or pvc. also why would somebody want to use abs? i can off gas in the long run. thats why its not schdl 15 rated and we don't use it as a potable water supplier?

I just don't see it making any difference.

First off, I've never heard of this being an issue in an aquarium. It could be, but you'd think there'd be a couple threads about it somewhere.

On top of that, how many years does it take before the ABS will become a problem? Compare that to the number of years a given tank is run on the same plumbing. I sure somebody, someplace has been runing the same tank & plumbing for the last gazillion years, but IMHO there rest of us are constantly upgrading equipment & frequently the new equipment requires changes to the plumbing.

That assumes we don't get a bigger tank, requiring all new plumbing....

I'm more worried about the ABS / PVC / CPVC glue than I am the pipes.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast