kat

Yellow tang is almost White

I picked up a yellow tang from a fellow reefer...he had outgrown the previous tank and needed a new home. He is apparently about 5 years old. I was very surprised to see that his body is almost white. He's nice and fat, fins a bin torn up...previous owner said he was very aggressive on the rocks. As tangs age...do they loose color? Is there anything that can help restore his color?

Give him time first, colour shifts are a sign of stress. White is also the night time colour for yellow tangs. Mine turns pale white with a paper white horizontal stripe shortly after lights out.

Was he as white in his previous home? What are you planning on feeding him?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

kat
    he's been in the tank for three days now, I guess he was white at the other house. The old owner fed him small pellet stuff, algae tablets etc.I feed him mysis, brine, seaweed selects in a clip, formula two, and angel formula

The diet sounds reasonable, watch the amount of meat he gets though. Easier said than done in a mixed tank, but tangs are supposed to be primarily herbavores. Is the brine frozen brine shrimp? If so it's not terribly nutritous. If you're looking to improve his colour I'd replace it with cyclopse-eese flake.

He's not as likely to chase around dried / or frozen cyclopsee but I've seen some adult tangs to it.

You can also soak everything but the seaweed in selcon before feeding it, just follow the directions.

But honestly, if you don't know for sure he had a colour issue at the previous owner's. I'd just chill & see what happens. If he's still white in a week, then start trying to adjust his diet.

Cheers!

Oh you should also look for nori at the local grocery store or asian food market. It's usually inexpensive & I don't know that seweed selects are any better. Tangs should have seaweed / nori to browse on every day.

Cheers!

How many Tangs are in this tank. Two Yellow tangs together is a disaster waitiung to happen. Color loss in that event could be pure stress.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Id agree that paleness from stress is the most likely issue that this fish is going through. I'll add to the other responses by saying that you should make sure the Tang has ample hiding spots in the tank. This is a HUGE form of stress for tangs, who take much sercurity in a good hideout.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"