Arcylic tank issues ???????

howdy all, i am interested in setting up a 35 gal acrylic hex tank. Now i have heard of some issue with acrylic...mainly scratches (which stinks) and also algae cleaning issues...which i am concerned about, mainly cause i had a s/w glass tank with crazy white and pink algaes on the front pannel...sadly after an extensive cleaning the front glass is qutie scratched... So i am concerned that if the algae removing did this to glass, whats gonna happen to the arcylic tank walls ? though i think i know the answer to that one....

I am thinking of maybe doing a reef set up in the arcylic tank...but still unsure...or maybe a fowlr predator tank ? hmm decisions, decisions....

Also any have any info on how tricky it it to drill an arcylic tank ? i think i heard before that they can crack easily ???? so many choices and too many decisions ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....and if its gonna be a real pain maybe i will do a different s/w set up and use the arcylic tank for a f/w set up ...which i know is sacreligous to mention that on here...so ooops so sorry...maybe a brackish tank....maybe that will cut me some slack...

Well Thanks again everybody !

Acrylic is more prone to scratches than glass, but as long as you use a material that is softer than the acrylic to scrape your ok, acrylic is also less porus than glass algea and corraline come off easier.

As per drilling anything over 3/8" cool while you drill cast drills good extruded is rater bad all around for aquarium use.

Hope this helps.
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

chrispol is right,its hard to drill acrylic ur self, the drills tend to get too hot and melt the acrylic and make a bad drill job.

asides for being much more expensive and easier scratched, acrylic is prety good for large tanks since its lighter

Just a side note the actual cost of good cast acrylic is allmost on par with glass glass is not cheap unless it's cheap lol
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

Good start so far, Thanks ! So i am suppose that if i cleaned the walls more often, algae removal might not be to bad.. I am pretty sure its cast acr. construction. Also i was thinking of maybe drilling the middle of the tank base,and build rocks up arond the middle of it to keep it kinda hidden. I would like to hide everything, except for maybe the teeth of the over-flow and a output flow director....but those are just some thoughts, which need to be researched more...Thanks again.

When you drill the acrylic just take a break for a minute every 2-3 mm's of depth to prevent heat buildup and melting. You wont have a problem unless you try to drill all the way through in one go.

All the best
    Andy

Why not just have a low flow of water over the drill site to cool it? I probably wasted a crap load of RO water this week-end, but it worked perfectly for the glass I had to drill.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

That would work as well, guess I'm used to working inside and can't pour water all over the workshop floor. :biggrinbo

Andy